Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
herb garden planting Sept too late?

Posted by alyciaadamo 3/4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 11:18

I am making my butterfly (full sun) garden and I decided I wanted to add a few 'herbs' in two raised beds in the garden. They won't really be for eating just looks and hopefully to smell. I want to put Lavender, Jerusalem sage, Lemon Thyme, Woolly Thyme, maybe a few Pink Delight Monarda(smells like roses so pretty!), and maybe some chives and mint(maybe). My problem is I live in zone 3/4 so our growing season is coming to an abrupt halt here pretty quick. Should I wait until next spring/summer to plant or do I have still enough time to plant the end of Aug/Sept.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: herb garden planting Sept too late?

I regularly pick up perennial plants on sale late in the season. Most of these plants make it through the winter pretty well.

With many of the bareroot trees and shrubs I buy in the spring I hold them over in pots during the summer and plant late/summer into the fall. I've had much better success with these plants way.

I'm a few zones warmer but you should have similar luck with plants hardy for your zone.

FataMorgana

o
RE: herb garden planting Sept too late?

I agree with FM. Go to a local nursery and get your perennial plants. The ones that are hardy for me here are chives(will take over if not watched), monarda, greek oregano, common sage, thyme, mint, lemon balm. I had a lavender that made it through the winter in a raised bed, but someone pulled it up the following spring just as it was greening up(grrr). I can't remember which one it was. I bought three varieties locally and just the one survived. Your local nursery should be able to tell you which ones are best for your zone. Also, the annual chamomile reseeds vigorously, so you might want to add that to your beds. HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here