Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro seeds survive winter?

Posted by kpev7hard 7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 11:35

I'm curious if I let my cilantro go to seed in the fall and let the seeds fall on the ground if they will survive the winter and grow next spring? I am in Maryland and the spot where my cilantro is growing is fairly open, no real protection from a building or wall to create a nice warmer microclimate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro seeds survive winter?

I've had the occasional cilantro seedling pop up here, so you should be fine in your zone, providing critters leave enough on the ground for you(I've found that mice are fond of coriander seed). Maybe collect and save some of the seed just in case?

o

Ditto on last year's seeds sprouting up but you'll have better luck if you collect seeds and sow them next spring.

FataMorgana

o

My daughter considers it nearly a weed in her zone 5 garden as it returns thickly each spring, and I have it in mine (20 miles north of her) as well. Her planting site is along the south side of a gray brick wall so it's maybe zone 6 micro-climate, but mine is not protected.

I think you could safely assume that, unless you have a thick mulch on your garden, or till the soil too deeply or just as seeds are getting ready to germinate, you will have some nice early "volunteer" cilantro!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here