Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Articles to Share

Posted by fatamorgana Zone 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 11:58

Over the last month or so I've added about 7 articles to my blog, many of which the readers here would be interested in. They include articles on a variety of native plants spotted on hikes - these articles include pictures as well as ethnobotanical uses (ie. herbal uses) for those plants. There is another Herb ID challenge and more. I hope you enjoy!

Our Green Neighbors Blog

FataMorgana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Articles to Share

Great work again, Fatamorgana. My mystery herb answer is Elder. But it looks a little different to the Sambucus nigra over here so I'm guessing it's a N American variant. S nigra subs. candensis???

o

Thanks, Flora! Yes, it is the North American species which I think was renamed to S. nigra subs. candensis from Sambucus canadensis. So many plants are being renamed that it is hard sometimes to keep it all straight.

I grew up with this elderberry - as a kid picking berries for my mom to make into pies and jellies. I was always the one roaming the woods, climbing trees, and picking the wild berries. Unfortunately I lost my taste for elderberry in pies and jellies when I ate a load of the fresh berries while picking them. I was pretty sick feeling afterwards and could never bring myself to eat them again. (You're really supposed to cook the fruit to deal with any of the toxins that may be present and I didn't know that.) With 30-35 years between now and then, I've finally gotten past that and have planted elderberries at my place. This was one of my bushes prior to the drought this summer here. Some of the bushes may not have survived/come back and none ended up producing any berries.

FataMorgana

o

All the elderberries we had were the ones growing wild. [Michigan] Only remember collecting them for mom and grandma once for jelly. The raspberries mostly grew wild. I did love wild strawberries as in one of those singe fruits there was more flavor than a pint of store bought. They were harder to find and we had a large patch plus we picked for the local farmers that we got enough for our family for all jam we could eat for a year, plus all the fresh ones that were so good on homemade biscuit shortbread with lots of homemade whipping cream.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here