Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Italians!

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 12:27

Parsley that is. Nothing wrong with the people. Unless you count making food that is just too damned good... but I digress.

My problem is with my potted Italian Parsley. As seen here:

Is this a case of not enough water, two much water, too much sun, not enough sun, wanting something added to it's soil or just generally ticked that it is still in a pot?. What?

In this picture it is sitting in a semi-sheltered area as Isaac moves through, so it is getting some rain at the moment, but not enough to flood the pot faster than it drains. On 'normal' days, it is sitting in a sunnier location. On the drier days with the sun beating down on it from about 8am to 2 pm, it will sulk until I give it some water and then it will perk right up. But checking the soil before watering, it feels relatively damp. Which leaves me to wonder, is it the water that's making it recover or is it the lowering of root temps (though, putting my hand on the pot, it does not feel particularly warm). Am I feeding one problem while stopping another? Or is the issue something else entirely?

Thank you for any help coming!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Italians!

It doesn't actually look too bad for a potted parsley plant in late summer. They will always get some yellow leaves. Parsley is native to temperate climates with plenty of rain so keeping it in full sun in Florida is probably not the best strategy. Your next sowing would be happier in the ground or a larger pot so its tap root is cooler and not restricted and it is not reliant on you for food and water. There is no point in trying to transplant this plant as parsley does not take kindly to it.

o

You have an Italian parsley alive in this heat? It's the air temps that it can't tolerate. I grow it nearly every year, and as soon as it warms up (grown in the ground), it goes to seed and that's it. Congratulations!

o

Umm... thanks... I guess. When I first got it, I was told in these forums that it would be fine in Florida weather (though it was heavily suggested that I put it in the ground at the time...), so it didn't occur to me that it would be ambient air temps that it wasn't happy with. Should I move it into the lanai to provide it with more stable shade and filtered afternoon sun or just let it ride out the rest of the summer in it's 'morning sun' spot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here