Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preserving Herbs with Salt

Posted by defrost49 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 12:52

I'm posting this here rather than the Harvest Forum. About 25 years ago I was given a recipe at a lecture/demo about preserving herbs with salt. I made it once and then promptly forgot about it because we were trying to limit our salt intake. I remember hand chopping a variety of herbs, mixing it with salt and keeping the jar in the refrigerator.

I have scoured the internet but about the only recipe I can find is a Canadian one that includes carrots and celery.

If you have an herb mixture you preserve with salt for the winter, I hope you will share it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preserving Herbs with Salt

I did a quick search and found the following:

Storing Fresh Herbs in Salt

Another method that can be used to store fresh herbs is to store them in salt. Choose a shallow container and place a layer of kosher salt on the bottom then add a single layer of the herb that is being preserved. Continue alternating layers of salt and herb until all the herb has been used up. Make sure the final layer is salt then place the lid on the container and store it in the refrigerator. When ready to use take whatever quantity of herb that is needed out of the salt. The longer the herbs remain in the salt, the more dried out they will become but the flavor should not be affected. Herbs can successfully be stored in salt for up to 2 months

Greg
Southern Nevada

o

Google got me a number of hits you can check out. Be sure to share your results with us!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Salt preserving herbs

o

Greg, thanks for the instructions. Fatamorgana, it's funny, your wording for google turned up some websites I hadn't found. I've assembled a file of ideas. It seems Canadians have a very popular mix, there's a Brazilian mix and I also found a Mediterranean mix. I don't remember a brine but I may have forgotten that. I think a seasoning mixture for stews and pot roast would be very handy so I'll work on figuring out a mix. Somewhere I have a "secret pot roast seasoning mix" made from dry herbs so I might use that as a guide for choosing fresh.

Today I am making a summer squash gratin with yukon gold potatoes, cheese and fresh oregano/parsley/olive oil paste. I did not make this in the winter but duh, the oregano/parsley/oil paste could be frozen for winter meals.

o

Ah! My google-fu must be strong this week! *grin*

Glad to help - and the gratin sounds absolutely yummy!

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here