Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting stevia

Posted by algar32 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 13:46

I recieved this plant in the mail the other day and it seemed very healthy. I left it in the intial pot for 5 hours before I had time to transplant. When I returned the plant was looking unhealthy. I transplanted it and waited a day leaving it in a window with a little bit of sun. Today this is what the plant looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/tzDlA

It is wilting quite a bit. I gave it a decent amount of water, but it is still wilting. I don't think it would suffer from any type of water induced root rot in this short period of time. It is currently in partial shade on my front steps.

What do you think is wrong with it? I am considering plucking off some leaves and seeing if that helps. Is it unwise to take a cutting at this point? I was considering this in case the main plant dies. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting stevia

Any suggestions?

o

May be you introduced it to sun, too fast ?

Cutting can work, depending on how big the seedling is ?

I would keep it in a bright indirect light to see what happens.
Then I would go ahead and transplant in the garden.

DO NOT over water. Just keep the soil moist.

o

It's suffering from transplant shock - looking about as droopy as you'd feel after a transplant operation! Keep the soil moist but not soggy, protect from the harshest sun of the day, don't feed it - in short, treat it tenderly as you'd treat a patient suffering surgery, or a small baby - let it rest. In 2-3 weeks it should perk up nicely.

o

It was already wilting like this before I transplanted it. I probably shouldnt have transplanted it.

The plant is dead, but I did take a few cuttings. Some died, but the shorter ones seemed to survive. A few actually fell off when I was plucking leaves (these cuttings were very short). I wasn't expecting, much from them, but they were the only ones to survive. I wasn't paying attention, but because of how short there were. they fell and became entirely submerged in the water. The leaves were floating on the water. Yet, they were the only ones to root, and their leaves remained perfectly healthy.

I found this to be quite odd, seeing as they aren't aquatic plants and cuttings aren't typically submerged in water.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here