Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oregano question

Posted by emily928 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 13:49

The leaves of my greek oregano have almost all turned a reddish color. They don't look brown or crunchy or anything, just sort of a deep red mixed with the green. Is this normal for this plant? I don't have any experience with oregano. If not, what could it be, and can I still rescue it?

Also, I'm about to plant a few new things in containers, and I think I have a bag of miracle gro potting soil in the garage, but from a couple of things I just read on this board, I may be better off tossing the stuff. What should I use instead? (I don't know if I have the patience/time to make my own mix of all sorts of different stuff - is there anything commercially available that does a decent job?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oregano question

Some oregano like Zorba red does have leaves that are a purplish red. If you cannot see anything that is causing the color change, it may be that the plant has just matured to it's true color. Look up your variety and see if this is the case.

As for soil--the best soil for seed starting and growing in pots is Pro Mix BX. It is the only thing I use in my greenhouse. Small bags are expensive though. I buy mine in a 2.8 cubic foot bale.

I don't know if you have it in the states but Presidents choice magic soil is good. I wouldn't throw out your miracle grow. Instead I'd mix it with a regular potting soil. The big problem with Miracle grow soil is that it has too many polymers that hold water and it's easy to overwater. Spread out over a larger area though it would be OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here