Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chana dal

Posted by
plant.babies Zone 7-8
(gw:plant.babies) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 14:42

Not sure where I'd post this, but I figured people who grow herbs might know.

I am wondering if it is possible to grow Chana dal?

I suppose first I should find out if one can grow Lentils. I've grown peas, but not sure what Lentil plants would be like.

Chana dal is a very low glycemic-index legume, and can only be found at Indian or health food stores.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chana dal

Channa Dal is obtained by splitting Channa (Bengal gram or Desi Channa as known in India)and husk removed.Another variety is know as Kabuli Channa which is larger in size and lighter in color.
You can buy Channa Dal as well as Channa (in seed form) from Indian grocery stores.Channa Dal is used for soup preparations.Chana are cooked by boiling after soaking in water ( most of the time soaked over night).

o

lentils.... I just grew my first this year... had a nice crop. There's not too much info on the web about them. They are a mediterranean type plant, liking it cool and dry. But they seemed to tolerate my 111 heat that we had, but I am not sure how much the heat contributed to the fact that the crop was finished early. I found that you kind of harvest them like wheat... wait till they dry, then pick the pods and sort of crush them, I used an African winnowing basket to clean out the chaff.
I have no idea about Chana dal. :o) Just gotta try it and see what you can do.

o
Growing Channa

Soak the Channa seeds in water over night and sow them in good soil.It is cool weather crop but can withstand warmer temperatures for short periods of time.Plant in rows at about 6" apart and rows about 2 feet apart.

o

If you happen to visit Indian grocery store look for roasted Channa and Channa Dal.Available with and without spices.Good for munching.

o

Here is a very interesting reference about chana dal. Please post if you learn more about growing them!

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 7-8
    Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 14:12

LOL -- that Link is where I first heard about Chana dal --
I found out I have 'severe reactive hypoglycemia' ....so am having to completely change my diet.

I'm going into Portland next week and will do my best to find an Indian store!

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 19, 06 at 7:29

There are two types sold in stores. Get the whole chickpea variety not the split chickpea variety. The split ones can sprout, but can desiccate. Seeds need some sort of enzymatic treatment.

o

Here's a list and a discussion.

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 7-8
    Sat, Aug 19, 06 at 15:39

thanks!

o

I have managed to grow a few chana plants from the seed chana we use for cooking. They seem to like sunny well draining soil and lots of feeds. Chana grow in pods which you can roast whole and eat.. mm.. delicious! But, to make daal is a little tricky if you live in a cooler climate. I know, in India they just soak them in water and leave it in the sun to dry. Not sure how you would make daal without the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here