Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_babies

Chana dal

plant.babies
17 years ago

Not sure where I'd post this, but I figured people who grow herbs might know.

I am wondering if it is possible to grow Chana dal?

I suppose first I should find out if one can grow Lentils. I've grown peas, but not sure what Lentil plants would be like.

Chana dal is a very low glycemic-index legume, and can only be found at Indian or health food stores.

thanks

Comments (11)

• chaman
    17 years ago

Channa Dal is obtained by splitting Channa (Bengal gram or Desi Channa as known in India)and husk removed.Another variety is know as Kabuli Channa which is larger in size and lighter in color.
    You can buy Channa Dal as well as Channa (in seed form) from Indian grocery stores.Channa Dal is used for soup preparations.Chana are cooked by boiling after soaking in water ( most of the time soaked over night).

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

lentils.... I just grew my first this year... had a nice crop. There's not too much info on the web about them. They are a mediterranean type plant, liking it cool and dry. But they seemed to tolerate my 111º heat that we had, but I am not sure how much the heat contributed to the fact that the crop was finished early. I found that you kind of harvest them like wheat... wait till they dry, then pick the pods and sort of crush them, I used an African winnowing basket to clean out the chaff.
    I have no idea about Chana dal. :o) Just gotta try it and see what you can do.

• chaman
    17 years ago

Soak the Channa seeds in water over night and sow them in good soil.It is cool weather crop but can withstand warmer temperatures for short periods of time.Plant in rows at about 6" apart and rows about 2 feet apart.

• chaman
    17 years ago

If you happen to visit Indian grocery store look for roasted Channa and Channa Dal.Available with and without spices.Good for munching.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

Here is a very interesting reference about chana dal. Please post if you learn more about growing them!

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

LOL -- that Link is where I first heard about Chana dal --
    I found out I have 'severe reactive hypoglycemia' ....so am having to completely change my diet.

I'm going into Portland next week and will do my best to find an Indian store!

• baci
    17 years ago

There are two types sold in stores. Get the whole chickpea variety  not the split chickpea variety. The split ones can sprout, but can desiccate. Seeds need some sort of enzymatic treatment.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

Here's a list and a discussion.

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

thanks!

• ecogardener
    14 years ago

I have managed to grow a few chana plants from the seed chana we use for cooking. They seem to like sunny well draining soil and lots of feeds. Chana grow in pods which you can roast whole and eat.. mm.. delicious! But, to make daal is a little tricky if you live in a cooler climate. I know, in India they just soak them in water and leave it in the sun to dry. Not sure how you would make daal without the sun.

• sarahh9
    7 years ago

I'm sure you should be able to grow them if you can get the seeds. I'll be curious to know if the dry channas got from stores can be used. Cooler temps is better for them and generous with the fertilizer.

If I'm not mistaken, I think your problem is not how to cook or dry them as channa can be eaten green too, like peas.....

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax