Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragon49_gw

Please identify this Herb

dragon49
14 years ago

I have something labeled coriander that clearly is not coriander. Either the nursery mislabeled the herb, or I put the wrong label in the ground.

The taste is VERY STRONG and VERY SPICY. I have posted a picture. The herbs in question are the large ones at the back of the picture. The leaves are green with dark streaks in them.

What the heck is it?? I sincerely hope I have not been eating a weed!

Comments (15)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Looks like Lady's Thumb Persicaria vulgaris which many would consider a weed.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady's Thumb

• dragon49
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the picture of Lady's Thumb Persicaria vulgaris. I then researched Vietnamese Coriander. My Herbs are clearly Vietnamese Coriander.

Look at this picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Laksa-bush.jpg

Mystery solved. The nursery mislabeled the herb. At least I have not been eating a weed!

Does coriander have a similar taste?

Thanks again

• francescod
    14 years ago

Coriander is the seed (actually a fruit) from the Cilantro plant Coriandrum sativum.

F. DeBaggio

• dragon49
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you,

Does Vietnamese Coriander taste like the Cilantro plant Coriandrum sativum.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

dragon49, Glad to see you have something other than a "weed" that you've been eating. If it had popped up in my garden (also NY State), I would have certainly thought that lady's thumb had sprouted up and it wasn't the herb I bought. Lady's thumb is a common weed in my gardens.

francescod, there seems to be confusion across various web sources on whether Persicaria vulgaris is an annual or perennial but it is a annual here in the snowy north. It does, however, self-seed.

FataMorgana

• nygardener
    14 years ago

dragon49, yes, they taste similar.

• lali
    14 years ago

dragon49 - Did you get this herb from an asian store that sells fresh herbs? I've never seen it in regular box stores. I've been successful growing it from asian grocery store cuttings, but unless I want to make the trek to a predominantly asian area I won't see this herb anywhere.

• dragon49
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I purchased it at a nursery.

Would you like some?

• lali
    14 years ago

Thanks, but I already have some growing in my garden. Just curious that it was offered in a nursery. Either it must be quite popular there or there is a sizable asian community around the area.

lali

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

Just on a point of semantics which might come in handy. If you ever find yourself referring to UK websites or books, be aware that the word 'coriander' applies to both seed and plant. The term 'cilantro' is not used over here.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

lali, I started seeing Vietnamese Coriander several years ago at nurseries that had a good selection. This year I bought a plant at an Agway Farm store (although a chain, each store is run as a franchise, I think). I'm in NH. I'm not sure why it has started showing up because it's hard to find recipes using it.

• takadi
    14 years ago

You can send me all of your vietnamese coriander, I LOVE it. We eat it with hot vit lot (boiled fetal egg) or balut.

• weedlady
    14 years ago

I disagree that Vietnamese coriander tastes like cilantro. I like cilantro but do not like the V. coriander AT ALL.

• herbgal
    14 years ago

Yes it is definitely Vietnamese coriander, a poor substitute for the cilantro that many expect when they buy it.
    herbgal