Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: bay Leaf plant or seed

Posted by kcsunflower ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 16:02

tried to find this last year...Now here another year has gone by...I hope Imposting on the right one...Karen Thanks!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: bay Leaf plant or seed

If you can't find any at your better nurseries ('...let your fingers do the walking'), then you might try ordering from an internet catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Valley Growers

o

Your wording 'bay leaf plant' makes me wonder if you realise bay is a tree. I'm looking at my neighbour's right now and it's about 20 feet tall. You need to be looking for it as a young tree which you can then easily keep small by pruning. I think you are unlikely to find seed. It produces berries which self sow around the parents in my area but I have never seen the seed for sale.

o

• Posted by idgy z6 WV (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 05 at 18:07

I have been growing a bay leaf tree for approx. 3 years- I have never seen any seeds produced- but love the fresh leaves. Good luck.

o

I asked Ritcher's about this. They said that the seeds are very slow to germinate and that it takes about 3 years for the plant to reach 3 inches. After that growth can really take off.

o

I grew from seedlings, and have severel sites for my organic herb and Mint plants. All Medicinal and culinary. I have 3 bay leaf PLANTS left for sale, and 2 BAY LEAF TREE'S left for sale. Both Of my Bay leaf trees, are close to 4 feet high, a little less, in beautiful shape, long stems filled with bay leaves and in beautiful condition. Let me know if you are interested, b/c i know there was a big frost, that is why many nursery's this year do not sell the tree. i have many requests. My email is oceanmeli@hotmail.com or my cell# is 847-431-9981. Thanks,
melissa

o

Richters does sell plants, though they're tiny. The ones I bought from them 3 or 4 years ago are now about 2' (60 cm) tall.

o
RE: Wanted: bay Leaf plant or seed (cont'd)

Sorry, for you metric herbalists, that's 75 cm.

o
RE: Have several bay Leaf plant/trees

Hello everyone,
I grow and sell several Organic,Medicinal,Culinary, and rare Herb and mint plants, all season long. If you are interested in bay leaf trees please contact me. I have several bay leaf plant/trees that range in sizes from 2 feet high to 10 feet high. They are all in great condition and very leafy. you can email me at oceanmeli@hotmail.com
thanks, Melissa

o

I am looking for a bay leaf plant in the Columbia, SC area.
I plan on growing it in a container.
If you can help please email me!

Thanks,
Frank

o

Visit a local nursery and not the garden departments in the big box stores. At local nurseries I can easily find bay with the other herb plants they sell even though it is a tender/not hardy plant in my zone. Cheaper than ordering live plants.

FataMorgana

o

It's often available at farmers' markets, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here