Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
at2013_gw

How to propagate Sweet Mint?

AT2013
10 years ago

Hi all. I bought some sweet mint from Bonnie Plants at HD the other day for $1.50. It's a small, bushy healthy plant. I wasn't familiar with the trade name "sweet mint" so I did some digging and found that it was "Hierba Buena". Does anyone know if this species behaves like the mentha family and spreads like wildfire? How does on propagate this? The the taste is a blend of spearmint and peppermint, with a delicate sweet after taste. It's strong and flavorful. Doing some more research this morning I found out that this is the mint species used to make mojitos, but isn't grown outside of warm climates like Israel, Miami or SoCal.

Comments (2)

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I actually prefer spearmint for mojitos. Sweet mint is nice but has a tougher texture than some other mints.

The sweet mint I've grown spreads pretty readily.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

hierba buena is generic spanish for mint. They are pretty much all easy to propagate. Oregano works about the same.

You can propagate by root division (just tease the clump apart as gently as you can) or if you're using the mint, cut a several inch section, then trim all the leaves except the top 4 leaves or so and bury the cutting up to it's neck in potting soil. Should root in less than a week.