Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My mint may have an issue, help is appreciated

Posted by Ryrua none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 17:44

Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I'm going to get straight to the point: my sweet mint plant seems to be having issues. I'm growing it indoors, but sometimes set it outside in the sun for a few hours (I live in the hot area of Florida, saying this for reference). I've not had any problems growing mint indoors yet; however I'm slightly concerned for this plant. It seems to have a strange discoloration on its leaves, where it's brown with tiny dark brown/black spots. I'm not sure if this "mint rust" or some kind of infestation, and if I should toss the plant or try my luck with it. I bought it from a garden center; it is not home grown.

I really do enjoy mint plants, so I'm hoping this one is still savable!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My mint may have an issue, help is appreciated

Here's another picture.

o

Being indoors your mint is rather etiolated. My first move would be to harden it off and get it outdoors permanently, in relatively shady spot if you have harsh sunshine. Many woes are cured just by fresh air and sufficient light.

You may have spider mites which are worse inside as there is no wind or rain to disturb them.

o

Alright, I've placed it outside in a spot where it's relatively shady. It will get evening sun. There is a cover above it, so rain won't be able to get to it; should I keep it that way? If it does have spider mites should I try to get it in a spot where rain will be able to get to the plant? It just might be a bit too sunny if it's not under the patio area.

Thank you for your tips!

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 15:57

Plants are tortured by being made to live inside a house. Their natural environment is not under a roof.
Your plant will almost certainly eventually recover if given proper conditions...the problem with mint is usually that it's taking over the world :)
Give it slowly increasing sunlight, maybe every 4-5 days move it into just a bit more sun...and let it feel rain water and shower it with the hose. Mints like lots of water in general.

o

Absolutely - let the rain at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here