Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Dill Heads?

Posted by tastytravels 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 18:10

This maybe a silly question, but can you freeze the flowering dill heads?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Dill Heads?

I assume you are asking because you want the dill seed.

To collect dill seed allow the seeds to turn pale brown in order to collect them and dry them for culinary or sowing purposes. Cut the tops from the plants with about a foot or so of the stalk intact and hang upside down over a screen or with the umbels in paper bags to catch the seeds. When dry, store in dark glass jars.

Or just go ahead and freeze the umbels after they have turned to a pale brown.

o

If you want the dill flower heads for pickling I find it's better to put them into a temp proof bowl and pour boiling vinegar over them, then put in large mouth jars or just put a tight cover over the bowl to keep out fruit flies. Dill is always ready before pickling cukes are and this is a way of storing them till the cukes are ready. When you want to pickle just use the vinegar the dill was in. Personally I like to have a small flower head in each jar of dill picles. It makes them look nice on the shelf. You can do the same trick on dill foliage. The dill vinegar is also nice on salads.

o

Sorry I should have been more specific. Hoodat is right, I wanted to preserve the dill head for pickles. I love to add the heads/flowers to the jar for a pretty touch. How long will it keep in the vinegar at room temp? Thanks!

o

The vinegar will keep it from spoiling indefinitely. I've kept some that way for over a year without spoiling. As I already noted you have to be careful to keep fruit flies out. They seem to find vinegar irresistable. They won't spoil it, they just get pickled themselves but dead fruit flies floating around in your dill pickles doesn't make them apetizing.

o

Thanks for the awesome advice. I harvested my dill heads and stored them like you recommended! Still waiting on cukes..... =0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here