Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txsusie

Mint plants stripped overnight )-: booo!

txsusie
10 years ago

Hi, I have a mint plants thats about a month old, I planted it and its been doing pretty good, this morning I went out to water and saw that it had been stripped )-: I cant see any slug trails and dug for snail sightings... nothing. I looked on the underside of of the leaves and nothing. I cant see any bugs or anything. Beside my mint plant I have a chocolate mint plant that hasn't been touched. I am so upset, I loved this little mint plant. Any ideas?
There are some transparent brown areas on some of the remaining leafs - not sure if thats due to partial eating or a disease, seems so quick - literally over night.
I searched the forum, but everyone says bunnies, snails or slugs, I dont think its any of these.
Please help! Thanks so much for the time & help.
Susie

Comments (12)

• gvozdika
    10 years ago

It could be birds damage, reminds me of my kale (some birds just loved it :) or some other critter besides birds, somebody defiantly nibbled on the mint. Don't worry about the mint, it is very tough and will recuperate.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Slugs work at nights till morning and then go to their hiding place( underneath the pots, rocks, cracks ... somewhere that they can stay cool during the day. NOT ALL slugs/snails leave a track all the time. They have many favorites but when hungry will eat mints too.

Go out wit a flashlight shortly after dark and check.

There are other insects , like Earwigs, that also do similar damage. They also come out at night and hide in damp places just like slugs/snails.

• batyabeth
    10 years ago

Could be a fat, happy, bright green little worm that hides under the leaves and on the stem, the same color as the mint. They can strip a plant very quickly. The only way to control them is to carefully search every day (sometimes I do it twice a day) and pull them off and kill them by hand. They will multiply fast, but after you kill a bunch of them for say, a week, they don't come back. For a while. But you pic does look like slugs/snails. Put some old beer in a shallow plate, and dig out a little hollow in the dirt so the lip of the plate is level with the dirt. Leave it out over night and see dead slugs in the morning. If so, there's your culprit.

• txsusie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies - I inspected & dug, I went out at night (a couple of times) to inspect - not a thing. I even got out a magnification glass to see if I could spot some tiny insects... to no avail. - Update is is, the mint stopped being eaten on night two and is now bouncing back and producing new leaves for my sweet tea (-: YAY, not bad considering the 100 to 112 degree days we've had here, yall were right - hearty little plant! (-: Susie

• smiley2emc
    10 years ago

oh my goodness this has happened to both my mint plants in the last few days and this morning i found a green worm type thingy does anyone know how to get rid of these worm thingys?

• smiley2emc
    10 years ago

oh my goodness this has happened to both my mint plants in the last few days and this morning i found a green worm type thingy does anyone know how to get rid of these worm thingys?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

GREEN WORM ? just squish them. There should not be that many of them around.

Not to worry. Just water your mints. They will come back even stronger.

• johnorange
    10 years ago

txsusie, seems like if you had snails or slugs, they would have done equal damage to the lower leaves. I have never had problems with critters eating my peppermint that is planted in the ground outside. I wonder if a cat or dog might do that if it had a diet defficiency or an upset stomach? Regarding the night inspections, I had lots of damage to some teacup roses one year. Something was eating the tops off of the buds but I couldn't find grasshoppers or anything. I went out one night with a light and found bookoos of june bugs feasting away.

• HU-138876469
    3 years ago

I’ve had the same thing for years, my mint striped overnight by bright green fat caterpillar grub thingy‘s, I’ve put the mint into a terracotta pot up on top of my terracotta outdoor table, and GREAT they can’t be got at now, and is growing lovely.

• Nancy Morris
    12 months ago

Just walked out my door because I heard a bird on my balcony (third floor). She (starling) was pulling the leaves off my spearmint plant and flew away with them! It's spring. Maybe she wants the nest to smell good! LOL

• petalique
    10 months ago

Maybe that fat green worm would work well with tequila, lime juice, sugar and ice.