Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil Flowering

Posted by Townzer none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 18:39

Ever since my basil plants began flowering, they have turned pale green. Is there a correlation? I have not changed any thing else in my routine, and they still taste good, just turned really pale, not wilting.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil Flowering

Nights getting colder, perhaps?

FataMorgana

o

I'm not sure why this is happening but I know when plants start to flower, they're using up lots of energy and nutrients in the process. Perhaps a little bit of fert might help? And, if you won't be using all of the blossoms (for seed saving), then I suggest you snip most of them off. The plants may perk up after that.

o

There have been some new stems that have popped up and those are dark green. I'm going to snip off the blossoms and see what happens.
Thanks for all the comments.

o

I try to keep all the flowers removed as long as possible on basil, to keep them producing better leaves. They get really determined, though, and will eventually work to bloom despite efforts to the contrary, which is usually a sign that they are done for the season. This is a good reason for succession planting, starting basil every two weeks or so in smaller batches, so that when it starts flowering you just harvest and remove the whole batch, reseeding once they are removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here