Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing fresh Lemon Balm

Posted by matovisme 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 20:02

Anybody do this? If so, should I use a Food Saver or just put in a zip lock bag and freeze. How long can I freeze it? What else should I know about this? I have never thought of freezing my fresh Lemon Balm until I recently read about this.

One more question:

I have also used my lemon balm throughout the Summer(for drying). I have also read you should only harvest before it flowers. Is this the better and only time I should be harvesting the plant?

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing fresh Lemon Balm

Have you used any of your post-flowering harvested lemon balm? Have you liked it? If so, continue. Some folks are particular about the taste and prefer it before flowering. If you are happy, keep harvesting as long as the plant holds up/you don't have frosts in your area. The plant will get pretty ratty as the frosts come closer and so you will probably stop harvesting well before the frosts end your season.

I harvest all summer from my lemon balm plants. I generally save the younger, choice leaves for tea and the older not so tasty ones for herbal tinctures. Regular clipping will keep new leaves sprouting.

FataMorgana

o

Have you tried freezing your lemon balm leaves in ice cubes (or juice cubes) - one or two leaves per cube. This makes an excellent addition to a fruity summer punch or refresher, quite attractive floating around until they melt.

o

Can I freeze lemon bam fresh ?

o

Try a sample. I think you'll find it will go black unless frozen in ice cubes as recommended above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here