Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

I'm Struggling With This One - Question

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I have posted here before in an effort to learn about Herbs as my knowledge is limited. My purpose in this is that I'm looking for a profitable product to grow and sell at our Farmers Market, Restaurants, as well as for personal use. I have been growing vegetables, but then everyone grows vegetables but very few grow Herbs. I've been struggling with trying to make a decision on whether to stick with vegetables or go with Herbs and I've just about made-up my mind to grow Herbs primarily, still keeping with vegetables on a smaller scale. The problem I'm having now is what Herbs to grow as there are many out there and this is why I'm asking here. If you were growing Herbs for market what would you grow? What are the more (shall I say) popular Herbs used and sold? I won't be depending on this to survive so failures are acceptable, and I'm sure failures will happen. I have two acres to grow on but my climate here in the desert can be problematic at times. However, if I need a specific climate I can create it as I have a very large hoop house that I built and I also can build another structure as needed. I'm just handy that way I guess. I'm retired so I have full time to devote to this

I will appreciate it greatly if you would give me a list of what you feel would be the better and more profitable Herbs I should grow. Oh, and what helped me along with my decision on growing Herbs was when I went shopping the other day. I checked-out the vegetable section at the supermarket and saw Herbs in little square plastic boxes with just a small amount of Herbs in them and they wanted $3.00 a box for them. Hell, you could fold the leaves and put them in a cigarette package and still have room left. Amazing...

Thank you all once again for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as time goes on.

Greg

Nevada

Comments (17)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The first step in deciding what herbs you might plants is to do a pretty extensive market study in your area. You need to find out who might purchase your herbs, in what quantity, and in what kind of packaging. Restaurants can be a good market for fresh herbs, but you must find out from them what they will use a lot of.

Some of the more popular culinary herbs don't fare well in hot climates. They go to seed or become bitter or die out, etc.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Organic-grown Basil, Sage, Thymes, Parsley, Rosemary... the cooking herbs. I'm not sure that I would advise you to give up the vegetable business tho'. We have several Organic Vegetable growers at our market who also have cooking herbs for sale. They sell far more vegetables than herbs.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

If I was looking to make money at growing and selling herbs, I would look into what medicinal herbs I could grow and sell. By the pound these are worth much more than culinary herbs. But I would have to do work upfront and look into the buyers that exist and what their requirements are (organic, etc...) as well as the specific herbs they are looking for.

Many medicinal plants have a multi-year commitment before harvest and the seed/plants are not as cheap as say basil or garden sage.

FataMorgana

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you who have offered your suggestions. I'm not concerned with having a market as I've already checked-in to it and there is a market for Herbs in my area. I have a contact in the Extension office that will put me together with restaurant chefs who are buying locally grown vegetables and herbs. There's also a huge Farmers Market that is local. I'm not looking to hit a home run in the vegetable/herb business, I just want to dabble in it and see where it goes. Medicinal Herbs is a good idea that I've thought of as I'm battling cancer myself and believe in using alternative methods in this battle. My Naturopathic Doctor likes Astragalus - Ginger - Garlic and Green Tea to mention a few.

So, if any of you have any other suggestions I would welcome them.

Thank You!

Greg

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I grow everything Organically. Round-up - Miracle Grow nor any of the commonly used chemical pesticides nor fertilizers will be used anywhere near my property.

Greg

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Many people at farmers' markets sell herbal salves, creams, etc., rather than (or in addition to) raw or dried medicinal herbs. These seem to have more appeal, since they're ready to use.

13 years ago

Yet another idea is to sleuth out makers of artisanal breads and cheeses, as well as those who make herbal soaps, candles, etc.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far I have: Basil, Sage, Thyme, Parsley, and Rosemary. Are there any other commonly used culinary Herbs that I should check-in to. Thanks for your replies...

Greg
    Nevada

• buylady
    13 years ago

hi there i use a lot of oregano, terrigon, for italian dishes like spaggetti etc...

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Probably not a big market but if you could grow some of the small leafed basils in individual pots you could offer them to florists or wedding coordinators for using as table decor. I like pistou for this but globe is more shapely. Wedding planners always want something new and different and brides will pay extra to get it.

You probably have plans for a selection of various thymes and basils but consider adding various lavenders to the mix. I use Grosso and the other large leafed lavenders more than I use rosemary in cooking. If you decide to sell at farmers markets a nice plate of cookies with various herbs in them can increase sales.

13 years ago

Cilantro has become extremely popular these days, and will continue to do so as more people are experimenting with Asian and Hispanic cuisine. You should also consider dill, for the foliage AND the seed. I've been using so much this summer. Lemongrass and some mints would be a good idea, too.

• batyabeth
    13 years ago

My climate is like yours, and what grows easily is different from what you have to baby and coddle. All of the thymes, especially Syrian, is, when dried and crushed, mixed with sesame and ground sumac, to make a quintessential Mid East condiment which we call Za'atar, very popular in the States (google it, you'll be surprised). Medicinals and salves is an excellent idea. Cleavers make a fabulous salve and grows almost too well here. Also the idea to supply restaurants for perfect garnishes. Tea mixes, fresh or dried, from mint, lemon verbena. Sachets with lavender; it takes a few seasons to get to the flowering stage and you'd need a bunch of plants, but it is a great seller in nearly any form. Bay laurel, rosemary and wormwood - an excellent medicinal - should prove easy for you. Meaning that these herbs don't take the intense care that your veggies, do, only the time it takes to get them established - your climate is perfect for these - and the quality of your harvest for selling needs to be higher than for home use like me. Have you thought of growing ginger? The salves are not hard to master, although I'm just a beginner at them myself, but there is a lot of expertise on the GW forums. Let us know!!

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Hi Greg
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing. My list of potentials is, ashwagandha, astragalus, ma huang,sweetgrass,lycium,holy basil,chamomile,forsythia suspensa,lonicera japonica,mullien,comfrey,jiaogulan,gravel root, schisandra,and elecampane.Most of these grow here to some degree. I am in a different zone and it depends on your access to water.Gloria

• hoodat
    13 years ago

Don't forget echinacea, both purpurea and longustifolia. They are very popular as medicinary herbs and you can sell both dried leaves and roots. Lemongrass should do well in your area and it has a terrific production for the small effort involved.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm compliling quite a list and that's a good thing - please keep your suggestions coming.

Greg
    Southern Nevada

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

mcfaroff - Unless something has changed recently, there may be legal issues with selling ma huang or ephedra. Make sure to read up on that before deciding on growing that one as a crop.

FataMorgana

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Lavender is an excellent idea. Wouldn't most of the Mediterranean herbs do well in your climate? Have you gone to the chefs at the restaurants and asked them what they use?

As for direct sales of salves, creams, etc. be sure you get some basic insurance, in case anyone has an allergic reaction. It shouldn't be too expensive and might be well worth it in the long run.

Another idea might be growing the herbs for people who make the candles, salves, etc. There may not be as much profit, but you could focus more on the garden side of the business and maybe offer a larger variety. Good luck and it sounds like a lot of fun :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz