Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Lavender - Please Help!!!

Posted by soriold 90019 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 22:19

Hello,

We planted approximately 20 lavender plants 2 months ago and everything looked great at frst. We are using a drip system and I have changed the drippers to 1 gallon emitters rathen than 2 gallons. Also, our soil is 70 sand and almost 30% clay. Slowly but surely it seems that all of the lavender are dying and I would REALLY appreciate any guidance some of you more experienced gardeners and lavender enthusiasts have.

Thank you very much for you help in advance and please see below for the damage.

Stefan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Lavender - Please Help!!!

They are getting too much water.

Lavender likes a well drained, slightly raised bed. It grows nicely on stone and concrete walls, in poor alkaline soil. ALSO thrives best in full sun.

You mentioned " 1 gallon emitter". is that per plant ? How often ?

Even the water from sprinkler system is too much for lavenders. Then on top of that you have rain, plus run off water from the driveway !!!

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 7:02

o

Well, I also don't quite understand the amount of water we are dealing with w.r. to these emitters, but would not conclude the problem is too much water without more info.. Lavender, it is true, is quite drought tolerant once established, but these are not, and I suspect the climate is quite arid, so we don't know how much rain there is...if any. Also, high summer planting is not optimal for planting--even lavender. Might correct itself with cooler, wetter weather in the Fall. Sorry can't help more.

o

How often, and for how long, are you watering the lavender. And does each plant have its own head?

How often and for how long are you watering the lawn?

o

I had exactly the same problem with my lavender. Mine had root rot & from what I have learned it will go to all of your lavender. They said to throw the soil and plant away. It only affects lavender.
I noticed that when I planted the lavender that a lot of them didn't seem to have much of a root system, others did but looked dry, not sure that any were healthy. I bought them from some obscure nursery, learned my lesson.

o

I never-ever water my lavender. Grows well and never have had any rot. I have pretty much 100% heavy clay soil but I locate things like lavender in the best draining locations I have and it works.

FataMorgana

o

The 70% sand sounds like a red flag to me - they like rock dust and/or clay. Hard soil is rich in nutrients, and it keeps the roots moist while the foliage receives full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here