Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st post - Lavender imposter??

Posted by afo316 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 23:25

I bought a pack of Burpee True Lavender seeds and planted them sometime in early June. I watched the seedling pop up and it looked normal. When they were about 2 inches tall they all started curling/crawling almost. Now it's about 6 inches tall or so and I'm starting to question whether or not it's actually lavender... Strange I know, but it does not have lavender's distinct rosemary-like leaves. I had lavender in my mom's garden (a transplant), but have never grown it from seed. I've been googling lavender details and my mysterious plant doesn't really look like it... Very confusing because like I said, they are purchased Burpee seeds.

I have a photo attached. Any help/ideas would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st post - Lavender imposter??

What does it smell like?

o

Amarathus spinosus, I think...a weed.

o

No distinct smell other than your average plant smell, but very slight (even with my nose against it).

o

Jaynine: A possibility, it has similar bud formations but different leaves... I sure hope I didn't pay $3 for weeds from Burpee!

o

No smell, huh? Hmm. That doesn't SOUND like lavender. I've only grown two kinds, but all the stuff I've smelled had a quite distinctive smell. Odd if you got the wrong seeds.

o

That is definitely not any kind of lavender. It's an Amaranth as jaynine suggests. A weed, although an edible one. The seed was not necessarily in the pack. Weed seeds come into pots via soil mixes, wind, etc. I suspect the lavender has not germinated at all .... yet. I wouldn't give up. Cut off the Amaranth (pulling will disturb the mix and leave the pot a while longer. Don't over wet the mix. You never know.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what you're looking out for.

o

leggs: Exactly! I am so puzzled...

floral uk: Hmm... But I've used the same potting mix for all my other plants (a dozen or so) and have not seen any of these pop up... All of the seedlings I had in jiffys with the same seed starter soil I've used for all my seeds, then I transfer them to a bigger pot with my usual potting soil. No sign of this lil guy anywhere other than my "lavender". As seedlings, they all start out the same, straight up with 2 little roundish leaves, then the stems begin to darken to a purplish-red and they begin to lay down almost as if to crawl (hence the fork). There's a photo of seedlings attached. So confusing...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here