Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbe_wa

Forsgate chives

barbe_wa
12 years ago

Does anyone know if these come true from seed? I collected a lot of seeds but then got to wondering if it was really worth it. I would divide them, but the clump is still quite small so I would prefer not to do that for another year.

Comments (9)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I don't know if "Forsgate" is a hybrid or an open-pollinated variety. If is is a hybrid (which I suspect), then the answer would be no, they wouldn't come true. But I can't imagine the offspring to much different than any normal chives. So....if you want just chives, go for it. If you want "Forsgate" specifically, don't. But if the plant produces viable seed, the dropped seed will sprout and add to the clump anyways in its non-Forsgate way....hmmmmm, I guess I wouldn't worry about it. I would plant the seed! :)

FataMorgana

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forsgate is a hybrid, I believe. The blades are taller and wider than the standard, but the taste is the same. I like the bigger plant for it's ease of harvesting. I propagate it for myself by dividing the clump, but I didn't want to offer seeds to others if I wasn't sure of what would be produced. I'll offer them as probably standard chives and maybe the recipient will have a nice surprise!

• coing
    12 years ago

My chives grow too tall and flop over. I want some that stay
    8"tall or less. Any recommendations, anyone?

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

A bigger clump of chives perhaps? I've never had a flop over problem with any of chives which I have in large clumps. They support themselves.

FataMorgana

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

My chives flop a bit, too especially after a rain when they're at full height & blooming. The only way to keep them shorter than our usual 12"+ is to harvest more often.

Hi Barb~
    Corrine

Here is a link that might be useful: Chives, Allium schoenoprasum

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Corrine, If you're going to the Green Elephant next month, I'll bring you some seeds of the Forsgate chives. No guarantee that they will come true, but they are excellant tasting chives, and they don't flop. Barb

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Thanks for the seed "barbe wa" They do not look like Garlic Chives seeds so they are going into the ground this week. As for Garlic Chives I seem them self seed in my lawn before. I wish that was true for Onion Chives. Maybe this time I will have to plant them in both my flower bed in the front and my herb bed in the back. Either way I just enjoy watching new plants come up out of this soil.

Paul

• barbe_wa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul, I hope they grow well for you. My dad grew beautiful chives in north central Texas, but my sister who lives east of Austin has a lot of trouble growing anything in her caliche soil.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Yes Austin is a different soil and weather all together. But they can grow things we cannot. You gave me enough seeds now I just have to wait and see what comes up and with my soil that is always a big question.