Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

indoor aloe -can I save it?

novice_2009
13 years ago

I've had an aloe plant in a large plastic pot that someone gave me for about two years now. I keep it on kitchen counter, where it gets sun from window.

In the past, I've pretty much neglected it, and it seemed fine. I've used pieces of it several times.

This summer has been the fourth hottest on record, really bad.

I watered it about once a month this summer, really saturated it this last time, it wasn't looking very good.

Now, it's worse. The ends of older leaves are withered - kinda flat with no juice. On newer shoots, there are brown "dead" spots. I don't know what went wrong other than too much H2O.

I think I might lose it, as it seems to be getting worse, not better.

Help please?

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I think you might lose it too. Do you have a saucer under it and do you empty it after you water?

If you leave water in that saucer it can cause root rot and that's what I think happened to yours. There is no cure.

Aloe is a succulent and ignoring it is the best thing to do. They do not require a great deal of water. Watering it well and then leaving it like you did is the best thing to do. But you can't leave any plant in standing water. You must dump the saucer too.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, it was fine as long as I just neglected it. Definitely too much H20 for past two months. There's a saucer, and no I didn't dump it, but when water seeped out the bottom , I tipped the pot and let excess H2O run off, then sopped it up.
    So what I described above are signs of root rot?
    I really value this plant- I guess putting outside where it's hot and sunny wouldn't help?
    Just make stress worse?

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

The dried tips are from a lack of water. Once a month wouldn't be enough for my aloe which gets watered several times a week since it's outdoors on the patio. I do agree that good drainage is important, however.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Outdoor versus indoor plus outdoor location could mean a big difference in watering schedule.

FataMorgana

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep, mine was indoors this summer, but close to grow lamp where I was still starting some herb seeds. My house just has an air conditoner, so hotter than some with central heat/air.
    So....does this sound like root rot to you?
    What can I do to save my aloe?
    Any advice?
    Thanks!!!

• houseplantlover86
    13 years ago

Hi,
    From what you've told us so far, i can't say for certain if root rot is truly what's happening to your plant. In order to find out, please bear with me -- I have a lot of questions! Then I may be able to help you better. Has the soil dried significantly since you gave it too much water before? What type of soil is the plant in?

Looking at your plant, here are some signs of health you want to see: Plump leaves, green in color; look for spikes on the edges of the leaves; if your plant is verigated, you will notice the natural markings vividly. Feel the leaves: are they full, cold to the touch, and thick? If you notice these signs, your plant is healthy, and doesn't need to be watered.

Are the leaves thin looking or can you see through them? If so, try watering the plant--thin leaves are a sign of too little water. Make sure the pot drains and do not let aloe sit in water.

Here's what you don't want to see: Shaking the plant just slightly, do the leaves flop over easily and appear weak? Have the majority of them turned brown, yellow or mushy? If so, your plant is likely overwatered and/or rotting! To be absolutely sure, unpot the plant to inspect the roots. If all of them are brown, black or squishy looking, your plant is done for. If only some of the roots are mushy, cut off those roots with scissors, leaving only the healthy white/yellow roots. (If ALL the roots look healthy, your plant is doing better than you think)

Aloe doesn't need a ton of water, and prefers a fast draining soil. If your plant feels wet often, it may benefit from a change to a lighter cactus mix.