Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

what seed co to order herb seed from?

tumblingtomatoes
11 years ago

Hi all,

Can I get some recommendations as to what's the best seed company to order herb seeds from? I've been growing a small garden of veggies for a few years now but this will be my 1st real attempt @ a little herb garden & some container herbs as well. I'll be gardening w/ kids of different ages & on a tight budget so I'm looking for a seed co that's got reasonable prices as well as good reputation for their seeds having a high germination rate as well. We're thinking of some pretty basic herbs, nothing too fancy or rare......catnip, dill, sage, lambs ears, oregano (greek)for homemade pizzas (yum!) & thyme & maybe zataar.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Have a great weekend & Happy Gardening!! :)

Comments (8)

• opal52
    11 years ago

If you have a Walmart near by, since you will need small quantities of seeds, you may want to try Ferry Morse, or Burpee seeds. I have had very good results from both of those seed companies over the years. Home Depot and Lowes offer Burpee and Ferry Morse seeds also. By purchasing locally, you avoid the shipping costs from mail order. In our area, these three retailers offer seeds only in the spring/summer growing seasons. Maybe in Florida, they are available all year long. I have ordered seeds (all kinds including herbs) online from Park Seed, always with very good results.

• BearDrummer1970
    11 years ago

We bought most of our seeds from Horizon Herbs or Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. They were a bit more expensive, but we wanted organic, non-GMO, and they had what we wanted.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Baker Creek is one of my favorite veggie seed vendors - I grow exclusively heirlooms and open pollinated varieties. Excellent place to order from.

FataMorgana

• gjcore
    11 years ago

My experience with Baker Creek has been less than satisfactory. In the past I made several orders which turned out fine but then I placed a large order and they put a handful of items on backorder. Never did receive them nor did I ever have an email or phone call returned.

I do like Johnny seeds and horizon herbs.

• albertine
    11 years ago

I just discovered Fedco seeds in Maine for herb seeds that are more widely available. I get most of my veggie seeds through them, but the best medicinal herb seed collection I've found is at Horizon Herbs.

• hemnancy
    11 years ago

If you want mostly the standard herbs, I have bought seeds from Thyme Garden. Their prices are very reasonable, though they don't say how many seeds are in their packets. They have grown well for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thyme Garden

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

We bought most of our seeds from Horizon Herbs or Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. They were a bit more expensive, but we wanted organic, non-GMO, and they had what we wanted.

Any company that labels it's seed as non-GMO and charging you extra for it is trying to rip you off. It is not possible for the general public to buy GMO plants. Its illegal.

Putting that on their advertising is like saying "Anthrax Free" or "Non-Flesh Eating Bacteria Infected" on there. Everything you get is that way anyway, they're just trying to play up on the fears of the uneducated to sell more of their product.