Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jerusalem Sage?

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 8:16

I really like this plant and it's growing well for me. The label says Phlomis fruticosa My question is aren't the leaves are wider than online pics of JS. Also, no hint of flower buds here on the last day of September. Could I have some other Phlomis?
 photo 09-30-13001.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jerusalem Sage?

I am not familiar with the JS, but I have the so-called common sage. It has narrower, longer and less silverish color leaves.
Mine did not flower the first year. But the second year it bloomed all summer long. If yours has not flowered by now, probably it wont.

o

Here's a pic of what the Nat'l Herb Garden calls Phlomis fruticosa I took the pic two days ago. Notice the narrow leaves compared to my OP pic.
If anyone can ID the plant in my OP please let me know.
 photo 09-28-13015.jpg

o

Phlomis fruticosa has a range of foliage sizes but yours does look quite broad. I'd wait and see what the flowers look like next year.

BTW you do know Jerusalem sage isn't an edible don't you?

o

I LOVE THIS HERB WITH THE GREEN TEA IN 1 CUP , GIVE A GOOD FLAVOR !!!

o

Here is the same plant at the Nat'l Herb garden, pic taken this morning. They had their first frost last week but it didn't effect the J. Sage. I pulled the flower apart and tasted it and it is sweet like honey. Perhaps it had some medicinal value? Am sure the blooming will slow down once it gets freezing cold.
 photo 11-16-13002.jpg

o

Fabulous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here