Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will mint survive freeze in pot?

Posted by sdshoars 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 11:21

i was wondering, i have a peppermint plant, and a spearmint plant in pots, and i was wondering if they could survive the winter in the pot, or if i should plant them out if i want them to survive? assuming they would survive in the ground that is...? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will mint survive freeze in pot?

Planted in a garden bed, they survive winter nicely in my zone of 5/6. Keeping them in frozen pots may kill them. I would plant them in the ground for best results. But then I'm not of the same opinion as some that it's near to Apocalyptic to plant mint in a garden. I tend to consider the spread as a bonus - more to harvest. If you do plant them, they will try to spread. Not a bad thing if you are ok with that.

FataMorgana

o

You could also just sink the pot into the ground for the winter. That way the roots would be insulated.
Joann

o

Yes, they will survive. I'm in northeast Ohio and we have some pretty harsh winters. We have a couple mints planted in 3 gallon pots, they have come back every year for the last 5.

The same with catnip.

o

I'm with neoguy - I've left spearmint & peppermint outside in pots for more than 20 years and have lost very few. This also works with chives - never had a single pot of chives not come back.

o

If you want to leave the mint in pots but are afraid it won't survive the winter, before the ground starts to freeze mound mulch or leaves at least 6" around (only 1-2" ontop) the pot(s). Around March/April you can take them out of the mulch to thaw. Once thawed I repot into a bigger pot.

I have a corner of the yard that is dug into a hill that I set all of my potted plants into and then surround them with leaves for the winter, I haven't lost much considering I overwinter about 50+ pots. Also, for pots smaller than 1 gal I dig out the middle of my raised beds and set the pots in the middle and fill in with soil and then let whatever leaves fall on top stay until spring. Needless to say I don't have a greenhouse...yet!

o

I've had a sweet black peppermint and a Vietnamese spearmint in plastic pots (the kind that look like terra cotta, but lighter) for probably 10 years now, with no problems. The pots are probably 2-3 gallons capacity, and stay on my driveway year-round.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I divided those, either... really tough to kill a mint...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here