Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transplant Italian Parsley?

Posted by fancythis none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 11:39

I've got a bumper crop of Italian Parsley and I want to bring some inside for the winter. I tried with cilantro last year and it died so I'm wondering if there is a trick to keeping leafy herbs strong. I had success cutting dill and sprouting it but it's too much for indoors. Should I pull up from the roots, soak in water first or should I just transfer to an indoor pot? Also I heard you should not fertilize when transplanting is this true or should I give a boost with some fish emulsion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transplant Italian Parsley?

Parsley develops a long tap root and mature plants don't take kindly to transplanting. It tends to make them bolt early. Parsley is a biennial (although some plants will carry on a bit longer) so yours will flower anyway next spring and you will need to start new plants for next year. You don't say where you are in Canada but if in a milder zone it might be better to protect the parsley outside where it is with a cloche or fleece. If you really have to bring it in I would dig up a huge clod of soil with it and put it into the biggest pot you can manage. In other words transplant it without it realising.

There is no trick for keeping herbs going other than knowing their individual characteristics and acting accordingly. Cilantro is an annual and is short lived naturally, as is dill. Both need sowing several times in a season even out in the open. Neither would live indoors for long however careful you were.

o

• Posted by loomis Z6a Western MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 0:45

Parsley will tolerate quite cold weather, and in my climate I have harvested it well into November. Last year I brought it into my unheated porch and was able to enjoy it for many months thereafter.

However, it eventually became infested with aphids, as often happens when you try to bring plants indoors, but by that point I felt they had produced above and beyond what I had expected anyway.

So if your area is not too cold, you should be able to overwinter them outside for quite awhile.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 12:14

I would plant new ones for inside. If you plant them now - they may be ready just when the outside ones give up under the snow.

Cilantro likes it cool - perhaps it was too hot inside for it? also - not sure if that one like transplanting or not.

o

No, cilantro does not like transplanting. It is a short lived annual and disturbance encourages bolting even sooner then normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here