Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

A bad year for basil

ditnc
9 years ago

I have lost all my basil this year to downey mildew. I planted more seeds and bought new plants and am now growing them inside in a sunny window. The temperatures and humidity have been horrible (hot and wet) in central NC.

I have thrown all the outdoor basil away. Tomorrow, the temps should dive into the low 80's and the dew point should drop below 70.

Think it's safe to put my indoors basil outside? Or will the downey mildew get them? It has been several weeks since the infected basil was thrown out.

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Downy mildew will be transmitted via the soil, via airborne spores, or infected seed. I had a purchased plant that had it, even in dry CO weather, though my understanding is that humidity makes it worse. Thankfully, it didn't spread to my other pots, nor have I seen it in ground basil yet.

You could try it with a few pots, and see if it's still present outside.

• toms94z71
    9 years ago

I had my Basil planted in a large container outside and it has done great this year. However I have a baby dogwood and a baby crab apple that have both been fighting powdery mildew all summer long here.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Powdery mildew is an entirely different issue than basil downy mildew. Different symptoms, spreading, etc.

• ditnc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I bought new basil and also grew from seed. I tried growing both inside and outside. Most of the purchased basil became "sick" and has been pulled. I have a few plants from seed remaining, but not thriving. All had new potting soil.

I am grateful for parsley paste and Trader Joes frozen basil for when I need flavoring. Even the grocery stores are lacking in good quality fresh basil. It was just a bad year for basil here. Hopefully next year things will be better!

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Thai basil may be less susceptible. Or maybe it just seems that way because it isn't grown as often.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I have heard that too--Thai, red/opals, and lemon/lime basils are less susceptible. Just don't remember where I heard that, so can't confirm.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Look for it on the Cornell website.

Study on Basil Cultivar resistance to basil downy mildew

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil Downy Mildew

• lam702
    9 years ago

Now I know what it was that destroyed my basil, the leaves in all of them turned yellow, then brown. Ok so here is a dumb question - I've sprayed my roses with baking soda and water to combat powdery mildew, it seemed to help somewhat. Would that have any effect on downy mildew in basil? I try to keep my garden as organic as possible, especially the veggies. There's nothing better than fresh basil from the garden, such a disappointment that I won't be getting any.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I don't know - the various extension agencies and horticultural experts have been working hard to find an answer because this has been absolutely DEVASTATING to even the small commercial growers. I know I read about some treatments - but I don't remember the details. Check the links I've provided and contact your local extension agency.

But - I hate to say it - I doubt a baking soda spray is going to help with this much. However I don't see what harm it could do. So why not try it? But do still look for current information on the state of the Basil Downy Mildew war being waged by our agricultural experts.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area