Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving herbs from outside in

Posted by zoemolly 3 - Vancouver, BC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 12:39

Hi, I'm a relatively new gardener. Oh heck, who am I kidding, I know next to nothing! I have been very lucky with my herbs outside this past summer but want to know what I need to do to bring them in for the winter and to keep them thriving and able to use. I have basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, and sage. My dill unfortunately didn't make it. I think I let it get sunburned. :0(

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving herbs from outside in

Basil (culinary, not holy) is an annual and has a short life span. You can try to bring it in but it will only last so long for you so don't be disappointed. I would suggest just harvesting it completely. Freeze the surplus and use as needed.

Dill is an annual and its living quick and dying quick is part of its nature too.

Parsley is a biennial - 2 year life cycle. Normally I treat it like an annual because the second year is poor (for harvesting) at the very best. Again, you can try to bring it in but do not expect much or a long life indoors. Like basil I would just harvest it and freeze or dry the surplus.

I don't grow tarragon so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Rosemary, thyme, and sage are perennials. I've never brought sage in but have tried thyme and rosemary with dismal results. I suspect the low natural light during the winter made it hard for them to survive. I would suggest extra lighting for plants is a must to get these to survive until you can take them back outdoors.

FataMorgana

o

That's too bad too hear about the basil. I have a bush that is really thriving. It's about 2ft tall and very full, I just dug it out of the garden and put it in a terracotta pot hoping to bring it in. I guess I'll have to harvest it when the first frost is forecast.

I think I'll try and cut off a few transplants to grow indoors.

o

Zoemolly - from what I understand of your climate in Vancouver you can probably leave the rosemary, sage and thyme outdoors through the winter if they are in ground. In pots they may need a bit of protection. They are evergreen shrubs or sub-shrubs and all can take an occasional freeze. The sage and thyme will get a little tatty but the rosemary should remain in good condition and might flower in late winter/early spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here