Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about mulching lavender

Posted by cherry67 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 13:01

We purchased some potted Lavender this spring and planted them around June. We are using playsand and limestone gravel as a mulch because I read somewhere that it's best to use a mix of 50% sand and 50% limestone sand to mulch, since I wasn't sure what kind of sand to use, my husband just picked out the playsand. We couldn't find limestone sand so we figured the limestone gravel would be the next best thing. Do you think the playsand is good enough? Or would the particles not be large enough? We have clay soil and I just recently read that sand might not be good for clay soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about mulching lavender

I can't think of any reason to mulch lavender with anything. I'd just leave it as it is, neither changing nor removing what you have put down there already. Lavender will grow in clay as long as it has reasonable drainage.

o

Thanks, the reason why we are mulching is becauase my husband has nicked it a few times getting too close with the weed eater, and letting the grass grow in between and around it looks very unsightly,

o

Oh, I see, I had assumed your lavenders were in a cultivated area.

o

No, just a little patch of area beside the driveway. We only have 4 growing there right now.

o

Even mulching requires you to occasionally pull weeds/grass. I personally would under plant with something else rather than mulch but to each their own preference.

FataMorgana

o

Bark might be better than sand, but I don't like how it gets into your gloves. My mom has a lot of success with bark mulch, though.

What kind of lavender did you buy? Hidcote and Munstead are hardy to zone 4 or 5 and don't need a winter mulch, but other lavenders might need some protection from winter cold and snow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here