Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Balm near Mint question

Posted by noinwi z3/4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 13:45

Has anyone had their Lemon Balm cross with their Mint? Are they that close in the mint family? I have a Peppermint plant I need to put in the ground, as last year it barely survived overwintering indoors and I know it won't survive outside in a pot(tried that). The only space I have for it outside is near some Lemon Balm(and also near some Monarda). This is not an area where I'd be concerned about the invasiveness of either of them. I've googled but can't find anything regarding the two, except that mints in general will cross. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Balm near Mint question

I guess I'll plant it and see what happens. Let's move this on down. Thanks anyway, for checking in :D

o

Your question 1: No. Your question 2: Not very.

Never say never but I think it is extremely unlikely that they would ever cross.

o

Thank you, Flora!

o

If your peppermint is really peppermint, it's infertile anyway.

Also, if you want your mint to survive the Winter outdoors in a pot, sink the pot into the ground. Granted, I'm in zone 6, not 3/4, but I've had good luck with this.

o

The mint is Chocolate mint...didn't think about the fertility issue. I'm an apartment dweller, so I can't sink the pot into the ground near the building. The spot I have chosen is just off the grounds(city property, not maintained)where I started a small(guerrilla)perennial patch, so I thought I would plant it there, but was concerned about the crossing issue. Thank you for the suggestion and the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here