Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee_cee_gw

What types of herbs do I have

Dee-Cee
10 years ago

As the title says, trying to find out what herbs I have growing. I was given a packet of seeds labeled kitchen herb mix.
I recognise the dill, chives and lemon balm, but these I do not know. Thank you

Comments (14)

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

number 2

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

number 3

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

number 4

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and last number 5

• zzackey
    10 years ago

#3 looks like Borage.

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That looks like that one thanks Zackey

• florauk
    10 years ago

1 . may be Radicchio/chicory - does it have a bitter dandelion like flavour?
    2. is Chicory flower
    3. is Borage
    4. is Stinging Nettle
    5. looks like Savory, Satureja hortensis

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much florauk. In looking these up I would agree with you on all except the savory, how sure are you on no. 5? would some more pictures be in order? I am only saying because some of the descriptions/ characteristics doesn't seem to fit the plant.
    Yes no. 1 does have a bitter dandelion flavor.
    Thanks again.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

3. Borage
    4. Stinging Nettle
    5. Savory

• florauk
    10 years ago

Dee-Cee - I only have your picture to go on whereas you can see the actual plant. It looks like Savory to me but I might be wrong. What features don't fit in your view? Did you look up Summer Savory ie Satureja hortensis? Or did you check Winter Savory, Satureja montana? Your plant looks like the former to me.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ Dee - Cee

Tell us how the number 5 tastes ?

Summer and winter savory have almost the same taste.
    The taste is complex. Little bit like tarragon, a bit like thyme, a bit minty.
    I have both summer and winter savory. The leaves are narrow and bit elongated. It grows and branches out in the shape of a tree. Probably there are variations.

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so muchfor everyones help, after cross referencing the names i was able to determine that they are as everyone has named.
    This is the last time I use a packet of seeds labeled mixed herbs and stick with what I know and use.
    Also I really don't think the stinging nettle was part of the seed packet as that stuff grows around here like weeds especially since I live next to a overgrown wooded lot that has it in it. Thanks again everyone.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

The chicory (#1 & 2) looks almost like the "Italian Dandelion" variety I planted years ago. It has reseeded year after year...10 years later it is still going strong. There's a lot of variety in it. Some plants have rounded leaves, some look just like dandelions. Nice herb. Look up all the uses at pfaf.org -- Cichorium intybus.

FataMorgana

• Dee-Cee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Again, Yes they are the italian dandelion.