Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What types of herbs do I have

Posted by Dee-Cee none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 14:05

As the title says, trying to find out what herbs I have growing. I was given a packet of seeds labeled kitchen herb mix.
I recognise the dill, chives and lemon balm, but these I do not know. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What types of herbs do I have

number 2

o

number 3

o

number 4

o

and last number 5

o

#3 looks like Borage.

o

That looks like that one thanks Zackey

o

1 . may be Radicchio/chicory - does it have a bitter dandelion like flavour?
2. is Chicory flower
3. is Borage
4. is Stinging Nettle
5. looks like Savory, Satureja hortensis

o

Thanks so much florauk. In looking these up I would agree with you on all except the savory, how sure are you on no. 5? would some more pictures be in order? I am only saying because some of the descriptions/ characteristics doesn't seem to fit the plant.
Yes no. 1 does have a bitter dandelion flavor.
Thanks again.

o

3. Borage
4. Stinging Nettle
5. Savory

o

Dee-Cee - I only have your picture to go on whereas you can see the actual plant. It looks like Savory to me but I might be wrong. What features don't fit in your view? Did you look up Summer Savory ie Satureja hortensis? Or did you check Winter Savory, Satureja montana? Your plant looks like the former to me.

o

@ Dee - Cee

Tell us how the number 5 tastes ?

Summer and winter savory have almost the same taste.
The taste is complex. Little bit like tarragon, a bit like thyme, a bit minty.
I have both summer and winter savory. The leaves are narrow and bit elongated. It grows and branches out in the shape of a tree. Probably there are variations.

o

Thanks so muchfor everyones help, after cross referencing the names i was able to determine that they are as everyone has named.
This is the last time I use a packet of seeds labeled mixed herbs and stick with what I know and use.
Also I really don't think the stinging nettle was part of the seed packet as that stuff grows around here like weeds especially since I live next to a overgrown wooded lot that has it in it. Thanks again everyone.

o

The chicory (#1 & 2) looks almost like the "Italian Dandelion" variety I planted years ago. It has reseeded year after year...10 years later it is still going strong. There's a lot of variety in it. Some plants have rounded leaves, some look just like dandelions. Nice herb. Look up all the uses at pfaf.org -- Cichorium intybus.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks Again, Yes they are the italian dandelion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here