Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this chamomile?

Posted by MaudieAnne none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 15:28

I have a ton of this growing in my yard. Is it chamomile? If it is, I want to start harvesting it.if not, any clue what it is? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this chamomile?

No, it's not Chamomile. It's a member of the Aster family of which there are a stack in N America. You could try posting the image on the Name that Plant Forum here on GW for a more accurate id.

o

It is a very weedy aster. It is one of the "thugs" I rip out with abandon from my gardens. Just like Solidago canadensis which is another thug I rip out of the gardens, they are stunning in wild spaces but not friendly garden plants. Before you bust on me for not liking native plants, I plant many and encourage native plants throughout my property. I also have acres of land left to be wild that are filled with many different aster and goldenrod species - pollinators visit us throughout the season for our wild meadow areas. But some of those wild plants are not welcome in my tended gardens. I would not advise letting this one stay in a garden.

FataMorgana

o

It is not chamomile in the OP's picture. Nor is it related to chamomile other than they are both in the Asteraceae family. But then there are 2800 species in that family. The plant pictured is Symphyotrichum racemosum, Symphyotrichum ericoides, or one of the other white asters.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here