Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost tonight what should I bring inside

Posted by girlsingardens zone 5 NE (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 15:38

We are supposed to get a frost tonight, first of the season. I am trying to decide what to bring in and what can handle the outside temps. It is only supposed to frost tonight and be in the 70's by Wednesday. I was thinking the rosemary, thyme, lemon thyme, lavender and sage. I was wondering how well these do inside during the winter. I would love to have fresh herbs all winter, but with 2 little ones ( 3 and 1) and 3 kitties in the house need to pick carefully which ones o bring inside. I also have oragano, costmary , chives, garlic chives, and mints. I think these will do okay outside.

Stacie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost tonight what should I bring inside

I'd get the rosemary and lemon thyme in tonight. Thyme (vulgaris) will stay green under a bed of snow pretty much all winter and sage mostly does the same. The lavender will probably have to come in at some point since zone 5 is right on the edge of hardy without lots of mulch and then, only if you have good drainage during the spring thaws.

Oregano, chives and garlic chives will die back after a hard frost / freeze but they'll come back strong in spring.

Don't know which will overwinter best but I can tell you that cats seem to munch chives and garlic chive starts indoors in late winter, even if you're growing cat grass right next to them. The only thing that they seem to like better is lemongrass ;)

o

The Lemon Thyme is usually hardy to zone 4 if planted in the ground. Your Lavender and Sage should do just fine especially thru frosts. If your are on the very edge of zone 4b a good mulch of straw laid down AFTER the ground in frozen should be sufficient. I'm zone 5b-6a Eastern Wa but I've friends north of me in zone 5a Eastern Wa who have no problems with lavender *English types* or the 'Grosso' making it thru the winter mulched or not. I don't mulch mine at all. There is also a very productive Lavender farm in Otis Orchards (eastern Wa...east of Spokane) in zone 5 in the foothills of Mt. Spokane and I know they don't mulch several acres :D

Vera

o

Does anyone think hot caps might help those herbs see thru a light frost?

o

o

Never tried it. Let us know how it works for you.

FataMorgana

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here