Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmofreeguy

When will my basil and cilantro start seeding?

GMOFREEGUY
10 years ago

Theyve both been growing flowers and this is my first year growing basil and cilantro so I dont really know what to expect. Any suggestions to get them to start going to seed?

Comments (11)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Where are you located ?
    Cilantro and basil are in two different categories: The first is cool crop, and the latter a heat loving one.

The best bet is to wait until the next season and cast seeds.
    DO NOT count on RESEEDING ITSELF.

Cilantros are easy to grow from seed.
    Basils, On the other hand, are harder to grow. They need real WARM soil and air temperature.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Cilantro reseeds for me very well. I haven't actually sown cilantro in a couple of years but have it in the garden every year. But for best results, seysonn is right. Purposely sow the seeds into prepared beds.

If you are talking about bolting (when these herbs start to flower), that is very condition and weather dependent. What region do you live in?

FataMorgana

• GMOFREEGUY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im in the northern california valley. I didnt really do enough homework on my herbs cause i just wanted to try growing a bunch of different herbs in a big planter but a lot of seeds never popped up. My basil and cilantro are the only things that got really big, and i have a little parsley plant growing in a corner of the planter

• GMOFREEGUY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this was about a week ago so the bolting is a lot taller, and you cant really see the cilantro but its not so pretty

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is a healthy and tasty looking basil pot.
    I would eat them and would let just one of the branches go to seed.

BTW: flowering of basil is not considered BOLTING. With cilantro it is. Bolting means that it is done :

• GMOFREEGUY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :) its probably my best thing ive grown this year. Believe me ive been trying my best to eat it and give it away but theres just soooo much of it. Im probably just going to let it keep doing its thing since ill never be able to finish it all. So it should start going to seed after it flowers for awhile?

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

It might be quibbling, but once basil starts to flower it is rather done. It stops putting on size and vigorous foliage growth. It puts all its "attention (can I say that about a plant?) into flowering.

While it may not exactly be "bolting" as with cilantro, I would consider it maybe to be "bolting lite" with basil. And while I don't taste the difference, I do believe there are quite a few that prefer the taste better before it starts to flower. Best approach, harvest basil often and don't let it even think about flowering! :)

FataMorgana

• GMOFREEGUY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha okay that makes a lot of sense, Ive noticed it hasnt been getting any bushier since it started to flower. I really need to start eating more of it cause I still have so much of it.

The past couple days though a lot of the leaves have started wilting and turning black at the edges. Does anybody know what might be causing this? Is it some type of disease?

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

What are the temperatures?

FataMorgana

• seysonn
    10 years ago

For most of us from zones 7 and lower, basil is expiring outdoor, anyway. They might survive til frost but won't do much more than just sitting there.

• CarloMartin947
    10 years ago

If you really want your plants to make seed, taper off watering and they will get the hint: Death is coming, so better make seed for the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick