Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia73_gw

Variegated Mint Identification Confusion - Help?

tricia73
12 years ago

I recently purchased an Orangemint plant at a local grocer. Today I found at Walmart another mint identified as Orange (Citrus) Mint that has a whitish color around the edges and longer, lighter green colored leaves. Neither plant marker had the latin name on it. I have tried googling images and have found some images that all resemble this plant identified as pineapple mint, orangemint, and applemint! I'm a little confused at this point. I don't know how to post a photo of the plant I purchased but if someone can help guide me with that I will happily take a pic and post it to help with further identification.

Comments (7)

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

If it is orange mint it will smell like oranges or citrus, Pineapple will smell like pinapple and so on. I love the scent of the apple mint, just like apples.
    Big box stores are notorius for wrong tags.

Posting pictures is not too hard, I can't beleive I'm sayng that... the one who could not do it, LOL
    First you have to open an account with Photobucket, there are others but I just think photobucket is easy enough for me.
    Also gardenweb has good instructions forum on how to post photos.
    Hope that helped
    Carmen

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

Definitely use your nose to identify your plant. In the nursery, don't be afraid to pick off a leaf or two, crush it (to release those tell-tale essential oils) and smell it - even taste it, if you're sure it's an edible leaf. As Gardencraze says, you can't mistake an Apple Mint from an Orange Mint, or a Chocolate Mint from a Basil Mint!

I'm not sure that a photo would help much with the ID. You can get an Apple Mint with an all-green leaf, but Apple Mint also comes in a variegated form. Both smell and taste like apple.

It's much the same with Thyme, which comes in an assortment of flavours and smells. Use your NOSE!

• marthacr
    12 years ago

I have a friend who has had an herb business for 30+ yrs and told me recently that pineapple mint has been "re-identified" or reclassified as a variegated applemint. Any comments?

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

Here in Australia, we've never had a Pineapple Mint. It took me years to figure out that it was what we called Variegated Apple Mint!! In any case, there is nothing about the Variegated Apple Mint that is reminiscent of pineapples. I've never encountered a mint that was, if it comes to that....

• tricia73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The green orangemint I Have smells like oranges and tastes of oranges. This smells kind of citrusy but not clearly of apples, oranges, or pineapple. It tastes a little citrusy too but again I wouldn't say it clearly tastes like any of the above. I'll accept it as a variegated orangemint because that's how it was marked but frankly it doesn't impress me with taste or smell. I think it may be more preferably of a decorative mint variety vs one used for cooking or teas.

Thank you everyone for your help. =D

• tricia73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I discovered that the plant was mislabeled by the grower and had been prematurely released without authorization. It was actually Pesto Perpetuo Basil!

• bellashere
    12 years ago

Yep, I have that basil also.