Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Is there an herbal remedy for anger?

zzackey
9 years ago

Ever since I went thru the change and quit smoking I have way too much anger. I don't know how to deal with it. Can someone please help me?!

Comments (31)

• eibren
    9 years ago

Maybe catnip, and others that have relaxing properties.

If the anger is justified, though, its function is to make you aware of something that needs to be handled appropriately. Then, the anger is transformed into energy to actually handle it.

Rosemary is for remembering--maybe that would be helpful, too.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

In all honesty, I would look to deal with what is making you feel that way and for ways to deal with that. It is going to be what is best for you and the people in your life.

Please remember that relaxing herbs are usually gentle pushes -- as opposed to sledge hammers pharmaceuticals can use. Calming herbs are still going to need you to work with them and develop your own control.

Calming herbs may include: passiflora, chamomile, valerian, catnip

FataMorgana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Congratulations on giving up smoking. You've already done the best thing you possibly can for your health. Otherwise I agree totally with Fatamorgana. You need to work on the causes not on the symptoms. And get out in the garden as much as possible.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Perhaps just developing a "calm down" ritual making a nice cup of tea will help as much as the herbs used.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband is my main source of stress. My real name is Maggie.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Maggie, you should see your doctor, of course. Hormone levels could be very unstable, you could be experiencing anxiety and/or depression....all of which can be helped with a proper diet, learning what foods might aggravate the conditions, supplements that might help, etc.

But you really should see your OBGYN soon and have a frank discussion.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I'll try to get in with him.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help! It means the world to me that strangers care about me.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I've said for a long time that one of the greatest gifts of the "Internet" is creating communities of far-flung individuals. I tend to think of people in those communities, especially the regulars, as sort of virtual "neighbors." So I guess we'd be pretty poor neighbors if we didn't care and offer some help. ;) I hope you find the answers and help you need.

FataMorgana

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

If you've found that your anger is rooted in anxiety, I highly suggest Holy Basil. It doesn't make you high, sleepy, stupid or anything that keeps you from functioning normally, but it does help you move on if you are anxious. Of course, moving to California or Colorado is another option, and you know the rest of that story.

• Christen17
    9 years ago

Good for you for quitting smoking! It's hard to do. I agree with other friends here about exploring causes, etc. However, I also find that if I'm having a rotten day or something has just gotten under my skin a couple garden activities work extremely well with helping me work though those moments. #1 Get a flame weeder. Few things feel better than cranking one of those babies up and frying some weeds. #2 Deadheading can also be therapeutic. #3 Picking a beautiful bunch of flowers and fragrant herbs is also relaxing and great for helping to reduce stress or anger. Stay well!

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I find weeding to be a very zen-like activity. Fingers are busy while the mind drifts to another place. ;)

FataMorgana

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

@fatamorgana - and of course the fact that you are actually killing things doesn't hurt, LOL!

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm angry most of the time. I used to be so mellow. I'm going to see my Gyn on Wed. Thanks everyone for caring and your suggestions. I like Holy Basil tea. It grew well for me last year. I have seeds. I will try and grow some inside this winter in my sunny window. Do you think I can make catnip tea out of the catnip I see for sale in the pet supplies aisle at the store? Living in Georgia is fine for me. No wild fires or earthquakes like Cal. and no snow like Col. We are in the thumb piece of Ga. that sticks down into Florida. So we are actually in Florida in our minds. The border is determined by the river.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

No, don't use the catnip from the pet aisle. Not intended for human consumption plus it is often old and stems. Not good flavor or action. Try your local health food store or an online supplier like Mountain Rose. Next year, grow some of your own. It is very easy to grow and harvest.

FataMorgana

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

This isn't herbal but it works for me: a combination of B-6/ Folic Acid/ B-12. I get mine at Trader Joes, but I'm sure it can be found elsewhere. I heard about it on a radio show that is hosted on Public Radio by a well-respected herbal expert who is also a doctor-of-something real.... not a kook.

Good luck at your Dr. visit.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

@zackey - its good that you are seeing your GYN. Hormone imbalances can really play havoc with our mood. For me, it usually results in bursting into tears with little or no provocation, LOL! I was glad I figured out what was causing that, roller coaster rides without the roller coaster are NO fun. Hopefully your doc will help you figure out what's up. AND FIX it!

About your holy basil - how do you start yours? How long does it take to come up? I tried to start some a couple of weeks ago and all the other basil types came up - but no holy basil. I had it on a heat mat which I don't normally do, but ... I'm also starting some curry leaf plant and that required 80F daytime soil temps. So, I finally broke down and bought a heat mat and thermostat.

Come to find out, apparently the holy basil germinates best at 65F to 70F. However, I don't really think it was the heat mat. That seed had been damaged by having something spilled on the packet in a recent move, so ... I wasn't really surprised that it didn't come up.

So I will get new seed, but first hand information is always good when trying a new thing, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience with me.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I direct sow the holy basil in my garden beds around the time I plant tomatoes and peppers. Comes up very well. I got the seed originally from Horizon Herbs.

FataMorgana

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Oh, rats, I really need to start indoors. Thanks for answering.

Somehow one tiny seedling seems to be emerging. I will try again, without the bottom heat - maybe that packet of seed isn't totally dead yet, LOL!

Hope you are feeling better.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I'm sure people start it indoors as well. Horizon Herbs gives instructions for starting their seeds.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i went to my ob/gyn yesterday. He wants to put me on hormones. I'm ready until I read the possible side effects. I haven't taken any yet. Still praying about it.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Well ... but the new meds aren't as bad as the old ones were. And look at the effects you are having now. Not everyone experiences problems with side effects, either. EVERYTHING has side effects, but most people aren't troubled by them. Even aspirin has side effects. Too much coffee.

Long term side effects of horomone therapy is one side of the coin, short term side effects the other. Or no side effects at all. (Is there a 3 sided coin?)

Its possible you won't have to be on them forever - hormone therapy is sometimes indicated to smooth out temporary imbalances in the body.

You could always stop later if they are causing new troubles.

The important thing is for you to feel happier and better. So I am hoping for the best for you while you take a breather to figure things out.

Hang in there.

• Vinh
    9 years ago

Hello

I hope you are doing well and on your way to healing.

The anger is multifaceted, and there is only so much one can communicate in an Internet forum setting.

I am a bit concerned about the hormone, and I encourage you to talk to herbalist Susun Weed. She has a blog talk show every Tuesday where listeners can call in. You can listen to past shows and see what she's like.

Best.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I'm not well-versed in hormone therapies and the pro's/con's of them so I can't speak to those. But from what you said, you are obviously having quality of life issues now. When we get to those places, our choices get easier. The what-if's become less important than the what-are's. I'd probably try what the Doctor suggested and see how it works for me.

FataMorgana

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just took my first pill. I know I have to do this. He wants to see me back in 3 months. I think this a short time med just to smooth things out. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

• Chiro_herbalist
    9 years ago

5-HTP has affects on the nervous system by increasing the producing of serotonin. It is used for insomnia, depression, obesity, and a few other conditions. It is natural and comes from Griffonia simplicifolia. I have used and I can notice a change for the better. I try to keep my patients on as natural as possible life style for optimal wellness.

• Chiro_herbalist
    9 years ago

5-HTP has affects on the nervous system by increasing the producing of serotonin. It is used for insomnia, depression, obesity, and a few other conditions. It is natural and comes from Griffonia simplicifolia. I have used and I can notice a change for the better. I try to keep my patients on as natural as possible life style for optimal wellness.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Confrontation and conflict resolution skills can sometimes help with relationship issues; the linked page gives a list of skills that can be developed, and there is a lot of good information on the web about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: trainrightinc.com

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where can I buy 5-HTP?

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I agree with others, there is no magic cure. Anything effective for mental/neurological issues is going to have side effects and limited effectiveness, herbal or not. You are best served working on the root of the problem.

I also not think there is anything "natural" about taking something like 5-htp. It is by definition a chemical and no more natural than morphine.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know what it was. I had a shot of morphine about a month ago when I was in the ER and it did nothing for pain. Just caused major chest pressure. Never again. So that rules out any major surgeries for me if Morphine won't even touch the pain.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors