Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alikhat_gw

Rosemary Bush Died In Less Than A Week

Alikhat
10 years ago

A week ago, I noticed that a single branch on my rosemary bush had mysteriously gone dead. The leaves were grey and brittle, as if I'd sun dried them. I clipped the branch off, but the problem spread and by yesterday, the whole plant was a dead, dried out husk of its former green and healthy self.

I bought this plant from a nursery just last March. It was about two ft. tall and I transferred it to a large pot outdoors. I've given it minimal watering and it gets about 6-7 hrs. of sun per day. We've had a brutally hot summer this year, but rosemaries tend to be okay with that. So, I'm at a loss as to what killed it or how it went so fast. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I don't want to get a replacement and have this repeat on me.

Comments (6)

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Rosemary is tough, but I've seen some go downhill fast on occasion.

I have a couple of little rosemary bushes potted up that layered off my big bushes, maybe we can work a trade.

I am in Tujunga/Sunland.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Mine always died from the center out. When I was able to take cuttings of the branches that still looked healthy I was able to get starts growing to replace the plant. but even then not all of the cuttings lived.

• Alikhat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the late follow-up, it's been a week. What I was kind of hoping for was some idea as to WHY this happened, so I could change what I did with this plant and prevent it from happening again.

I had one gorgeous rosemary for years and years that finally died by drowning during a series of bad rainstorms. I thought I'd planted and cared for this plant the same way (and it's been nowhere close to rainy), so I'm at a loss why it died and how it went so quickly.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

From your description of how it died (center out with browning leaves) it does sound like root-rot. Did you use a different type of soil than previously? The soil could have more of a clay consistency that held water better than the previous. Or, it could have been a weaker plant that was more susceptible to start with.

I baby my potted rosemary like crazy, but the larger "tree" that I purchased still semi-died. All the new growth since I got it is fine, but the original is gone. It's an interesting experiment.

• Alikhat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, balloonflower. I hadn't done anything different (if anything, I've been very careful about over-watering, since my first plant drowned), but I guess it's still possible.

• gardencraze
    10 years ago

Alikhat, mine did the same thing.Mine are planted out in the open garden,big beautiful 3 plants 3ft tall and as wide, so healthy looking. within a week, 2 dried up for no apparent reason. the 3rd is not looking so good, has to be some sort of disease.
    Carmen