Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you use lambs ears to make herbal tea?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a Pa (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 18:53

I heard you can..and I do remember that when I had crushed a lambs ear it smelled (to me) a little like pineapple. Not sure if I read about it in a Euell Gibbons book or not, Stalking the Wild Asparagus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you use lambs ears to make herbal tea?

If the plant you have is Stachys byzantina, a tea made from the leaves tastes like apple. And it's safe to drink!

o

I'm not sure if that is the botanical name, it's the common type of lambs ear, with the purplish pink flower stalks. They do smell so nice! :D

o

Is it used dried or fresh for tea?

S. lanata syn. byzantina is the "yerba de mole" of Mexico. I have read some recipes that call for it in mole verde, but I have yet to try it that way. I like my mole verde recipes, and I don't want to mess with them yet. But the idea of trying this herb first in a tea is intriguing.

o

Be safe and make sure to get positive identification before consuming anything!! :)

FataMorgana

o

Ditto FataMorgana! Often given, but, sadly, much ignored advice!

The pix at the link below will help, but when in doubt, leave it alone!

Mother Nature isn't always kind. She has made many dangerous plants to resemble safe ones, just to keep we humans on our toes.

BTW, an older botanical name for it was Stachys lanata. The name is now not generally in use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamb's Ears

o

Wow, I never thought of steeping it thought it was purely ornamental (other than its old use as a bandage). Thanks for the idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here