Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus leaves edible?

Posted by dogpaws_2008 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 16, 08 at 18:57

Are citrus leaves edible? In Thai cooking, you use the leaves of the wild Thai lime, torn and removed or slivered fine and not removed, to infuse their incredible flavor in a dish.

I've asked around and no one has been able to answer me. Can I use the leaves of the local Persian lime trees the same way? What about orange trees? No one seems to know including the local ag county extension. They both smell intoxicatingly fragrant when you tear the leaves.

I'm guessing the answer is probably yes and they sell lime oil and orange oil but I hesitate to use myself as a guinea pig.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus leaves edible?

I have a Kaffir lime tree (Thai) so I limit my citrus leaves use in cooking to only that one....but I do not see how it would be so different from the other citrus leaves? maybe Kaffir is the best tasting?

o

There isn't much information out there on this subject, as I found on doing a quick search. I don't think citrus leaves are edible as such - but the leaves of some species can be used to add flavouring, or be used as a food wrap. Liken them to bay leaves - you add them for flavour, but you don't actually eat them.

I'd prefer to have more information before recommending any other citrus leaves but Kafir Lime, however, just to be on the safe side.

o

I know citrus leaves are not poisonous..they recommend using them (unsprayed of course) or rose leaves when making chocolate leaves for garnishes on cakes and desserts. Not sure if they taste better than kaffir lime leaves or not, haven't tried either of them.

o

Thanks everyone. Now that I know they're not poisonous, I'll experiment with them. The leaves are from my tree, and they're not sprayed. I was thinking of using them like a bay leaf, torn, as I make a lot of broths and sauces. I love the kaffir lime leaves. Lemon leaves would also be good, I expect, although I have my lemongrass for that.

Suchin

o

i would love to know if anybody has tried other citrus leaves such as orangetree orcommonlemon leaves. please let me know aroma is same as kaffir lime leaf

o

I substitute my lemon tree leaves for kafir lime leaves when making Thai dishes. It seems to work well. I just bruise the leaves a bit and get great flavor. I've also baked chicken wrapped in lemon leaves before and it's delicious.

o

I have often used slivered leaves of Tahitian lime in a beef and (green) beans stir-fry, with garlic, soy sauce, Thai fish sauce and brown sugar, and served with rice. Delicious! Quite a different flavour from Kaffir lime leaves, but most certainly edible. I'm in Brisbane (Queensland) and had the tree growing at home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here