Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Medicinal Herb: Turmeric

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-123580388/turmeric-component-kills-cancer.html

Has anyone read of research on turmeric herb plants proven to reduce cancer? Something called curcumin in the plant is specifically what reduces the cancers. That is great!

I also did a little research on the Bur Marigold being I planted it by accident, it's the marigold you get by collecting seed from a hybrid Marigold, it reverts back to the Bur Marigold. It is being researched to cure hepatitis.

That is great! Is there a Medicinal Herb forum? How do you grow turmeric and I wonder which turmeric is the one that produces the most curcumin?

I like pepper dishes too, so I would grow this, cook with it, and benefit from the health it gives.

Anyone know of any varieties of turmeric?

Here is a link that might be useful: Turmeric

Comments (9)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

If you are going to ingest these herbs, be careful. Read all you can about them and the dosage. Herbs are good when used right but like medicines they cabn be toxic if you take too much

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

There is an herbalism forum but, not to rain on your parade, you can not sell any herb as a cure or help.

If you personally have a health problem you can experiment all you want too. However you can not sell or suggest that anything herb or rubber tutu will provide a cure. Since you have been posting you have bounced from cure to cure. Why don't you just enjoy the plants for what they are rather than trying to find one that you can corner the market on. It takes acres and acres of plants to make a small amount of any chemical that could be helpful.

There are things in herbs that will help but unless you can do the research and have the patients that are willing to be test subjects study but take every thing as a possibility rather than a given.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I know Horizon Herbs sells turmeric to grow if you can't find any fresh roots in your local Asian food stores. It has growing culture similar to ginger.

This forum is for growing both culinary and medicinal herbs. The Herbalism forum tends to be more for herb usage and as a rule is far less pleasant and much lower volume a forum than this one.

As far as which varieties offer the highest concentrations of curcumin, I'm not sure. But I would probably look to source my roots from a vendor like Horizon Herbs rather than just getting a root from the Asian food market if you are looking for root to produce the best possible plants and medicinal action.

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, and I searched for a Herb forum for this, didn't find one here. I'll look again. I'm not telling anyone to home cure anything, but it's amazing to me the benefits of the plants I'm growing and finding in the yard, plus finding research on the internet. I've had a lot of happy accidents this year.

I'm looking to grow turmeric, if it grows where I'm at. I've tried a few things in the wrong climate already, not looking to start a plant this time of the year. I'm also going to try ginger, but near spring. My plants won't last through the winter.

I've been nursing what I was hoping to be hyssop or bee balm, but got snakeroot instead. It's poisonous taken in large dosages, but still a good medicinal plant. I have books on the measurements of most of the plants I'm speaking of.

Nutrition is half the battle, even if it's not a winning one towards illnesses. Not starting a debate, or get on someone's nerves, but being chatty, like I am, people take that wrong. I'll check the board out and see what they have.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

You cannot grow tumeric (or the plant where this spice comes from...Curcuma longa) where you live.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The curcumin derivative that is being investigated is INJECTED ... and it is a far cry from the original plant material. The whole plant also has chemicals that are toxic if eaten in quantities large enough to get a cancer-inhibiting dose of curcumin through the intestinal wall and to the site of a tumor.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6703 Explains it pretty well, tracing the route from a medieval herb to a useful, predictable drug.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Container plantings and bringing inside for the winter is possible with tumeric. Works for me but it is more of "just because" rather than something you can realistically crop that way.

FataMorgana

• luvplants
    13 years ago

I've taken New Chapter's "TumericForce" for muscular aches/joint for several years and love it. However, you should know that tumeric is used to induce menstruation in india, so I suspect it might have some form of estrogen-like chemical in it. Be careful about what you take before doing research on it.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    12 years ago

Tumeric "curcumin longa" fights inflammation. I listen to health programs all day on internet radio. Read "healing Spices" and listen to Christian Wilde who wrote "my heart book"
    It is als s fascinating.....
    Thanks
    jean