Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom2_6boys

Comfey?

gmom2-6boys
14 years ago

Anyone growing it? I read that it is good for the compost pile. To heat it up?

How do you use it?

Is it really invasive?

gmom2-6boys

Comments (7)

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

I wouldn't call comfrey invasive, I would call it permanent. Wherever you plant comfrey, it is going to stay. It's near impossible to get all the tiny roots if you want to move it. And from the tiniest root will sprout more comfrey plants. So, don't rototill it! It is very good for the compost pile, facilitating decomposition of plant material. I make salve with comfrey leaf and it heals skin very nicely.

• francescod
    14 years ago

If your plant is really happy, it will become invasive. Some people have plants that don't seem to produce lots of seed and can control it. I find it invasive due to the huge amount of fertile seed mine seem to produce. I started with 3 and now it is everywhere! It took a couple of years for the plants to really become seed machines. I have pretty heavy clay soil. The plants seem to be constantly in bloom/producing seeds all summer long. The only way I can see being able to control the production of seed is to cut it back nearly to the ground to be sure you have removed all the low flowers as well. I mow it and cut it back a few times a season (depending on its location in my yard/gardens.

F. DeBaggio

It does have a hefty tap root that makes it nearly impossible to pull easily once it gets much past the seedling stage.

It is not recommended to use comfrey internally.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

I've always found comfrey to be quite well behaved - as long as you don't disturb its roots. It is very good in a compost heap because it helps the material break down more quickly. A bit of yarrow does the same thing. You don't need much of it - just a handful, maybe.

It's a good herb to grow if you have an otherwise useless boggy spot in the garden.

It's healing powers are phenomenal. In fact, it's recommended NOT to use it on open wounds, because it causes the skin to grow over so quickly that any infection deeper down could be trapped in. However, the leaves are wonderfully soothing when used as a poultice on sprains and sore muscles.

It's use internally is hotly debated, but IMO, where there's room for doubt, don't.

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would like to get this to grow near my compost pile and use it to heat it up or make it work better.

Could someone share seed or roots with me? I checked each of your trade sheet and there was nothing there. I'll send shipping or check my trade sheet for something you might like. If you don't see anything just ask because I do have lots of things that are not listed but could share.

Thanks
    gmom

• rober49
    14 years ago

i started my comfrey patch from a few shoots from a friend. it is limited in width by being ion a narrow patch beside my driveway. it has pretty much stayed the same since i planted, roughly a 4'x 3' patch. the indians called it bone-knit. it is supposed to help heal any bone or bone marrow problems. i had some friends use it to help treat their son's leukemia with noticeable success.

• kumquat1
    14 years ago

Here in sandy north Florida, I have planted Comfrey in sun, shade, east-side, west-side, damp place, dry place, in a pot, not in a pot and I can't get it to grow here. I ordered a nice plant and put into my hay bale garden and it was a beauty till my chickens found it. I ordered some seeds and planted them in a container in some nice potting soil in April and they have not peeped up yet. I had soaked them for 3 days before planting. I didn't want to take up space in my garden as it is limited, but I just planted that one. Your psychiatric counselling would be appreciated. My land is acid.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Talk to other gardeners in your area. See if someone is growing it successfully and if they are ask for a piece of their plant since that plant is more tolerant to local conditions.

FataMorgana

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area