Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenly_herb

Taking the next step...

heavenly_herb
13 years ago

I have done small gardens 10x10 in the city for about 10 years nothing fancy few veggies. Recently moved to the country 2 & 1-2 years ago. Leasing 2.5 acres. I dug myself a 1/4 acre garden with my husbands help and a small garden tractor joined the local farmers market and sold veggies and herbs. All organic. Then this winter put in a green house and began seeding plug trays of herbs to pot up for sale at market as well. did well in spring and well throughout summer but I now have a green house full of potted herbs and realizing market is coming to a end i need to find a buyer wholesale or consignment. I don't know how to began to search since this is all new to me.

Comments (7)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I don't think there is a buyer out there for you, but I may be wrong.I don't know where you live or if you get frost or what kind of herbs you have, but I have a couple of suggestions for you.

Plant pots and all in your garden and dig them up and sell them as mature mother plants in the spring.

You could talk to grocery or other stores in your area. They might sell them for you for a cut of the profit.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

You may want to start marketing your potted plants as fresh herbs for the holiday season. Make it clear that there is no guarantee but with care they should last at least until Thanksgiving. Ask that the purchasers tell you in the spring what they did with the herbs and how they lasted for them. You did not state what herbs you have but instill the idea of stretching the season rather than planting herbs in the ground to live forever. Even if you decide during the winter season that you will not do the next year asking for information gives the purchaser a feeling of trust that you are here to stay.

Even if you have no sales the plants that you have grown could be used as cutting material for next years plants.

During the off season study some of the marketing techiques that can sell your produce. One of the things that I see wrong with your posting is that you are using organic methods. Although I agree that you should use those methods unless you are certified you can not list your plants that way. Study how you can legally market that way or just use grown with organic methods rather than organically grown. It will save you many headaches.

• heavenly_herb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am aware of the legal issues; we have sent in our application to the state for organic in transition. They have made us aware of what words we can use. I only use words like pesticide free, chemical free no chemicals at market and on our web site. I used the word organic here to just sum up what I do to shorten my posting. Thank you for your concern. Moving forward. Most of my customers who purchase my herbs use them for herbal remedies and I have a variety 25 types of herbs mostly perennial potted up in the green house. To mention a few basil, french tarragon, thyme, Vulgar, wormwood, rosemary, parsley, oregano, catnip, echinacea, chamomile, lavender, mint to mention a few. My biggest question being new to the potted end of the business is who do I approach what type of retailers. Should I sell outright or consignment. I heard with consignment is not the way to go. Do I need a special license other than my retail license. Remember Im just starting off.

• heavenly_herb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am aware of the legal issues; we have sent in our application to the state for organic in transition. They have made us aware of what words we can use. I only use words like pesticide free, chemical free no chemicals at market and on our web site. I used the word organic here to just sum up what I do to shorten my posting. Thank you for your concern. Moving forward. Most of my customers who purchase my herbs use them for herbal remedies and I have a variety 25 types of herbs mostly perennial potted up in the green house. To mention a few basil, french tarragon, thyme, Vulgar, wormwood, rosemary, parsley, oregano, catnip, echinacea, chamomile, lavender, mint to mention a few. My biggest question being new to the potted end of the business is who do I approach what type of retailers. Should I sell outright or consignment. I heard with consignment is not the way to go. Do I need a special license other than my retail license. Remember Im just starting off.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Personally, I would plant the perennials in the ground and let them over winter. Dig the survivors next spring and sell them for more since they will be larger, more vigorous plants.

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

This is not the time of year to try to sell containerized herbs or anything else, as you know. At this point, you might even try something unorthodox like Craig's List or similar.

I can't think of a single reason why a retail garden center would even consider bring in a bunch of containerized herbs at this time of year. But, WHO KNOWS? I'd sure be knocking on the door of every privately owned nursery and garden center within driving range.

• nygardener
    13 years ago

You could try putting together some "indoor herb gardens" by combining a few of your plants in a wider pot, with a line like "Why stop using fresh herbs just because summer is over?" "The perfect holiday gift for the cook in your life!" etc. If you do it decoratively, between the farmer's market, produce stores, and cookware shops, you might sell some. Test-market in small quantities and see if any of them go for it. Else overwintering and selling larger plants next year sounds like a good idea for the perennials.