Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Mint Help

Posted by LizzyBee1988 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 21:13

I've been growing an orange mint plant for several months. I moved it to a hanging basket because it was growing so much. The overhanging stems and the stems around the edge are rich and lush, but in the middle where they are rooting from, is thin, red, and wilt like.

I've read that it might be getting too much or too little water and that cutting it back may help.

Also, it isn't as fragrant as it used to be.

**I've added a picture, the inset picture is the side view**

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Mint Help

Not grown this particular mint. But generally, mints prefere cooler weather, some shade, lots of water ... little fertilizer.

They have agressive root system and can become root bound in small pots.
This is the time of year that mints slow down, go down, and even disappear in hot summer but come back later. Spring weather (cool, rain) is the peak for mints.

o
RE: Orange Mint Help

Agree that it looks like a normal mint plant that hasn't been harvested or trimmed. If you choose, go ahead and clip the sparse stems off at soil line. As Seysonn said--this time of year, your mint should rebound quickly with pretty new thick growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here