Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which herbs survive winter?

Posted by cpereira Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 21:37

Hello,
There are a number of threads that talk about herbs which survive winter - but the information is spread over a number of threads.

From what I've learned on this forum
(I live in Zone 6 NJ)
Rosemary - bring indoors
Sage, Thyme, French Thyme, Tarragon, Chives will survive outdoors with some mulch covering.

Have I got it right?

It would be nice for novices like me to have this information in one thread. If the knowledgeable among you can provide the following information:

Herb X - bring indoors if colder than at zone Y.

It would be very useful.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which herbs survive winter?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 12:19

I'll be waiting for someone to answer, I too have the same questions...I'm in Zone 8, Georgia...we have relatively mild winters with about a week or two of below freezing temps, last year the low I believe was 27 or 28, but only for a day or two in a row...

o

rjinga, I can't imagine anything cept maybe the annuals not surviving your winter.
The only thing is, for someone like me, the only way to have all that info is to google it myself... so either you can give me a list of herbs and I will google it FOR you, or you can do the same thing I do. Just google "name of herb + hardiness" and you can make your own list, just like I would. The day I can remember all of that, I will let you know... I have CRS bad. :o)

o

I live on the north side of Atlanta (zone 7) and my perennial herbs do fine. I have a large rosemary bush that has thrived for years. My thyme, chives, oregano, mint and parsley die back but come back each year.
jg

o

Other than google, get yourself a nice book on growing herbs and perennials. Your local library or bookstore can help there. Look at all the books they have and find one that you like the format of. It will be an invaluable resource to you. It will have all the hardiness info plus general care and maintenance for your plants. I promise, you won't be sorry!

FataMorgana

o

I'm in zone 5b-6a and these all survive here with or without mulch:
Thymus vulgaris 'German Winter'...evergreen.
Thymus x citriodora 'Silver Queen'....evergreen.
Thymus serypllum
Salvia
Lavender 'Munstead' (even their tiny self-sown plants have no problem surviving!)
Lavender 'Grosso'
Lavender 'Vera'
Lemon Balm
Chives (Common and Garlic)
Monarda didyma
Monarda fistulosa
Spearmint
Feverfew
Oregano
Lovage (I don't have any but my neighbors around the corner have HUGE clumps of it)

Also the Lavender's are evergreen to semi-evergreen depending on severity of winter.

o

Don't forget if you have a dry spell in the winter you will need to water.

o

Oh goodness, I've never watered anything in the winter. I would suspect this need would be *very* location dependent. Too much water especially in the winter can rot and kill some plants. I suspect the page below from High Country Gardens may help people figure out if they may need to water. It has rainfall amounts and suggestions (especially with regards to "xeric" plants) for garden setup and care.

To the original poster in NJ, I wouldn't water. I live in NY State and have never watered anything in the winter. My biggest winter problems can be (in no particular order): rodents, ground heaving from the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw stuff, and too much cold especially when there isn't a snow cover.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens RainFall Chart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here