Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do slugs favor herbs?

Posted by olive51 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:58

I was outside around midnight and saw DOZENS of slugs on my concrete patio--eewwww! They seemed to be mainly gathered on the patio around my 5 ft. tall, potted meyer lemon trees and even more so, around a small rock garden of thyme, veronica, basil, parsley, rosemary, lavender etc.

I am using sluggo as well as beer in shallow pans. My question is: Does anyone know what herbs (and other plants) slugs particularly favor? This would help me in planning next year's garden--perhaps planting herbs in pots located on tables rather than in the ground....I know they like hostas but can't seem to find a comprehensive list of other preferred plants.

Or maybe I'm being hopeful that they even have a preference, maybe they eat anything that doesn't eat them first :-(

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do slugs favor herbs?

I have had the worst year with slugs that I can recall. I am very upset that the slugs devoured all of my astralagus seedlings. I saw the initial damage and moved the seedling flat off the ground. Incredibly, the slugs crawled to a raised platform to reach the flat and ate the last of the poor young seedlings. In July I lost all my young lettuce to red slugs. This evening I removed a slug from a passion flower bloom. I conclude that these nasty critters like what I want to grow.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 6:23

Slugs like anything they can get their slimy little mouths on.

Fie on them and all their kin!

o

You say you saw slugs but did you see evidence of them eating the herbs? They will eat sage in bad year but I've not known them touch lavender or rosemary. Veronica spicata is pretty damage free for me too. Never get much trouble on parsley either. Basil I grow indoors anyway. And believe me, I have thousands of slugs and snails in my garden.

Top gastropod favourites are hosta, clematis, all bulb flowers, lettuce seedlings and all brassicas.

o

They will probably eat anything that has been newly germinated ,young seedlings, just about anything. That is why, I have only major slug/snail problem early spring. Slugo type products work fine.

But talking about bigger seedlings and mature plants, I know they love basil. Never seen them to eat thyme, sage, rosemary, lemon balm.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 3:06

o

I have seen them feasting on basil and mint. For non-herbs, marigolds, salvias, hostas- I even saw them this year eating sweet alyssum blossoms. Imagine that! Those grubby suckers!

Fie on them and all their kin! LOL- I totally agree, Batya!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here