Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The correct way to preserve these herbs

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 22:15

I have basil, thyme, rosemary and marjoram. I assume that you cut and dry them,and wash them before drying. Do most of you hang them to dry or how? Thanks for any help. Also, how do I grind them up and store them? Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The correct way to preserve these herbs

First off... I don't think basil tastes like anything once its dried, so I freeze it.

The rest you wash, rinse, and dry, which you can dry by:
* hanging in loose bunches;
* in a dedicated dryer under lowest heat;
* or, if you're in California, you can just leave them lay out on the counter for a day.

With the exception of Rosemary, I prefer to leave the dried herbs whole and stored in glass jars to be crushed just before using. I have an herb-dedicated coffee grinder that will make short work of grinding Rosemary or any other herb or spice.

o

And just to confuse you with an alternative take - I don't wash them, I dry them by placing on a broad shelf in my kitchen and I don't grind them either. I put whole sprigs in dishes and remove after cooking. And westelle is right about basil - it isn't worth drying. I use it when I can have it fresh and don't use it when I can't. It's a taste of Summer to me, we enjoy the season and then move on to Winter flavours.

o

Agree with Flora: Never grind or even crush or rub those herbs. Keep them as whole as possible for best aroma and flavor.

All I do is just separate and throw the thick woody parts.

o

I use fresh rosemary year round since my plants come in the house for the winter. I harvest thyme outside for many months and find that I need a very small supply of dried herb.

o

I don't wash my herbs before drying. I don't use chemicals in my gardens and don't water the herbs (except in extreme conditions) so dirt is not a problem either.

For herbs that are thick or need quick drying, I use a food dehydrator. For most culinary herbs, I air dry on screens. And yes, leave whole until you wish to use. Crumble then.

FataMorgana

o

I got the Nesco Encore Dehydrator for my birthday this year. I LOVE it. It dries my garden herbs in a very short amount of time.

I rinse my herbs first and then spin them dry in a salad spinner. Place them on the dehydrator tray set at 125 degrees (supposed to be 95 degrees but I use the higher degree for time expedience and have not seen any problems so far).

My oregano does especially well. Chives lost all of their flavor - even at the lower setting.

Before the dehydrator I hung my herbs in my china closet to dry - worked well but took a long time.

PS. Made beef jerky too - fabulous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesco® American Harvest® Snackmaster® Encore™ Dehydrator and Jerky Maker

o

Thanks for all the tips. I bought several herb plants and have them under lights in my garage. It is my understanding that the basil will probably not do well, but I may try to bring it into my sewing room that has windows all the way around. I understand that some of these herbs have a natural length of life and may not be productive during the winte months. I am beginning to feel the dill is not going to do well. I just wanted a little bit to add flavor to my cooking. Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here