Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Basil

Posted by basilbum none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 22:19

Hello all,

I just wondered if there are any basil experts here who might be able to tell me what the heck these black areas are on the basil my mom bought. Apparently they came in large bags for a fantastic price, don't appear to be withered and smell fantastic. But the discoloration has me worried it might be a fungus. It can be scratched off with fingernails, but given the quantity we need, not worth it...

Here's a pic:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Basil

Basil leaves tend to turn black when refrigerated... maybe that's all?

o

They were black right out of the bag. Look like spores to me. Maybe bacterial leaf spot (Pseudomonas cichorii)? Don't get how they can sell it like that...

This post was edited by basilbum on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 13:44

o

Could be. I don't see the distorted leaves that in bacterial infections usually go along with the blackened areas and holes, but I wouldn't rule it out just on that basis.

Since the bacteria is harmless to humans, there's no law against selling basil with that disease. No one is forcing you to buy it.

o

I don't know what it might be, and rarely buy basil for those reasons. If you choose to eat it, I would blanch it off in boiling water first. (It's a trick for keeping basil green in pesto). Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then stick the basil in for about 30 seconds. Pull out and immediately plunge into a large bowl of ice water.

o

Thanks guys. Apparently all the bags had black leaves so maybe it wasn't anything harmful, but given the quantity we needed and the fact that there were a lot of yellow leaves too, we decided to wait or find another source.

o

Were the bags completely sealed or did they have holes in them?

o

I didn't see any holes in the bag. Looked quite sealed.

o

Well, the plant must have been in transit for a while and maybe in a refrigerated truck !!. Plus, being in a plastic bag there could be condensation.

So once you pinch off those and all damaged leaves, let it air and introduce it to sun/outdoors .... it should be fine.

AVOID OVER WATERING ! and of course, repot into a bigger pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here