Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leeza09

Tulsi

leeza09
14 years ago

hi friends, i have heard that tulsi is having lots of medicinal value. can that plant be grown everywhere or it can be grown only in certain places. what health benefits does it give.

Comments (4)

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Tulsi is Holy or Sacred Basil, Ocimum tenuiflorum/O. sanctum. It's wild form is O. gratissimum. It's an annual, and it does best in temperature climates (think India).

It is so different from sweet basil in appearance and aroma that you have to look closely at the flowers to see the connection. It has a luscious, musky odour that penetrates the air and clings to hands and clothing when touched. The wide growing plants can reach 60cm in height and an even larger width. Their arching branches are covered with narrow, fuzzy, grey-green leaves. In the summer, they produce many rough spikes of dull, bronzy lavender-white flowers that yield enormous amounts of seeds.

Medicinal Uses: Used internally for feverish conditions (especially in children), colds, flu, sinusitis, headaches, rheumatism, arthritis, abdominal distension and cramps, poor libido, and melancholy. Used externally for skin infections, acne abrasions or insect bits and stings. Seeds are made into tonics and have same uses as Sweet Basil (O. basilicum). May prevent peptic ulcers and other stress related conditions such as high blood pressure, colitis and asthma.

Sow the seeds in early spring indoors or in the greenhouse for an early start, or seed directly in the spring or summer garden. Sow seeds just under the surface of the soil and press in firmly. Keep watered and warm until germination, which occurs within 1-2 weeks. Prefers full sun, rich soil, and plenty of water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulsi

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I've grown holy basil by direct sowing the seed into the garden bed just as I do with the various sweet basil types. I don't like indoor seed-starting (a personal preference) and only do it when I have to. Tulsi does well with direct sowing.

It is a beautiful, fragrant plant. Definitely a good plant for a scent garden - it has a spicy, herbal aroma. It makes for a fine herbal tea.

Some sources say it is an annual, others a perennial. I don't what is accurate but I've had one in a pot for 3-4 years now...sounds rather perennial to me. I move him inside each winter and back out when the weather warms.

FataMorgana

• leeza09
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you friends for your help. my place will be having a normal temperature. i have tried sowing seeds but nothing worked out. so had the doubt that it will grow only in certain places. will try it out once again.

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    11 years ago

The seeds need to be kept moist while they germinate. I know, in my climate, the wind will dry out the surface of the soil in spring. When that happens where I have seeds planted, germination is severely affected. So it's best to run a soaker hose where you have planted and turn it on for a little while about 3 times a day till the plants are up. Then maybe once a day till they get established.