Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back Leggy, Woody French Lavenders

Posted by suntower z5 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 23:53

Hi,

I've got a whole string of french lavenders that I've sort of 'trained' to be sort of like short hedges.

Unfortunately, they've fought back by getting woody and leggy. How hard can I/should I cut them back to re-shape them properly?

-Sometimes- they seem get new growth from the wood, but mostly not. How do I tell what new growth will come from and what won't?

Finally, is now the time of year to consider this?

TIA,

---JC
Seattle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back Leggy, Woody French Lavenders

Lavender should not be cut back hard. Unlike rosemary, yew, privet etc. As you have noticed it does not happily regrow from mature wood and it is risky to cut into it.

o

So once it gets out of hand, is the only solution to replace? IOW: is there no way to re-shape it, given enough time?

o

I have seen my neigbor once cut his way back( and gave me some). It grew back. But his was not too leggy. This was in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning lavender

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:13

o

suntower - can you post a picture of your lavender. In Seysonn's video the lavender is not what I'd call leggy and the woman is only cutting into quite young growth. I am imagining something up on wood trunks with peeling bark. Am I wrong?

o

Here is a picture that -hopefully- shows the woody/leggy bits. Sorry it's sideways. Hope it's clear enough to see how spread out it's gotten. Any ideas?

TIA!

---JC

o

They look pretty woody. Cutting back can be risky. Maybe you can try couple and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here