Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint, what's the tallest mint with broadest leaves?

Posted by toffee-el Z9 Sunset Z13 SoCal (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 0:21

Questions about mint:

Do all mints mature to about the same size? Which one is the biggest?
Which mint has the broadest leaves?
Do they all take full sun?

Thanks for helping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint, what's the tallest mint with broadest leaves?

Hi toffee-el,

We've grown a number of different kinds of mint and they all have different leaf sizes, stems sizes, and flavour.

Mohito mint has moderate sized oval leaves and grows to a moderate height. Many peppermint varieties and a nice leaf shape as well and grow to a similar height. If you want something a different, pennyroyal is more of a ground cover that creeps along the ground with small leaves and does well is shady areas. Most mint does best in a sunny area.

Happy Gardening!

o

Whether or not mint needs to grow in sunny areas depends upon the climate and type of soil. Here in NE Oklahoma, mint needs afternoon shade. I've grown peppermint, spearmint and lemon mint for years in areas where there is shade nearby and they always grow away from the sun and towards the shade. I've found mint growing in the wild under shrubs near riverbeds. They don't do well in really dry conditions, at least not here. All the mints I've ever had will grow taller when in bloom, maybe 24" or so, but mostly they have a "running" habit and they can get kind of scrawley-looking if you don't trim them regularly. If you like mint tea, this is not a problem. Offhand, I can't think of any mint that has large leaves.

o

Mint here in Western NY State grows in full sun.

According to the attached article mint grows in heat zones 5 - 9. The closer you get to its maximum heat tolerance, the more protection it would need from the sun.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: mint article

o

If by mint you mean "square stems" then Anise Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) can get big. I grew one from seed and fed it with good compost & horse manure in a small raised bed. I bet it got about 4 ft tall and 4 ft in diameter in 2 years. I had to dig it out as it just took over. I believe you will find that it is in the mint family (Lamiaceae).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here